42.9 Checking the Locks: Left Field

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

crobillard
Ex-GM

42.9 Checking the Locks: Left Field

Post by crobillard » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:03 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the sixth of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the left field position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Jose Salas
Trying to get in the door: Julio Uribe, Lorenzo Leon

Salas emerged onto the scene in his first full season last year with a .335/.434/.504 batting line including 44 doubles, 14 triples, 10 homeruns, 96 walks for a 4.8 WAR. His only liability has been in the field where in left field he has a .971 efficiency and a -5.1 ZR. His bat definitely secures his spot in the lineup every day for the 22 year old named Slinky. The question is whether he's additional time in left field. I mean 8 errors in LEFT FIELD. Not fantastic. I couldn't put him in a better position for someone so bad at fielding and he's terrible. There is a clear interest for him to move him to DH, but I might have more pressing options that need a DH position. I really need to think it through so I can put together the best lineup possible and it might turn into something that evolves into something better later or it could be a rotation where I go with the hot bat.

High contact hitter similar to other outfield options I have, Uribe was attempting to break onto the scene last year at this time, but he was denied due to his ratings being too far away from his potentials. Now he's in a different position 1 point away from his potentials at 8/9/4/4/8. Uribe's other issue is he's not close to our best option in the field. He has a 4/11/7 outfield defensive ratings which puts him solidly in left field.

Another designated pinch hitter option is Leon. I don't love Leon as I said in last year's series, but the point still remains that he's a strong lefty bat that can hurt righties with 6/8/7/5/6. His problem with making the roster is just that we have better hitter options off the bench for that 27th man on top of ones that can field better. I guess it would depend on how much I feel like we need that left bat.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”