42.6 Checking the Locks: Second Base

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

42.6 Checking the Locks: Second Base

Post by crobillard » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:45 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the third of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the second base position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Hakim Ngowa, Yi-ke Hsaio
Near lock: Pepe Espinosa

The product of fan favorite Bobby Lynch's departure finally seems just about ready to make his Edmonton debut. There is a lot of excitement around rookies in Edmonton after Pedro Huerta's fantastic debut season last year. Everyone is excited to see what they got in return for their beloved franchise ace. Espinosa seems like the completed package too. 7/8/7/4/7 and he can bump that gap power to 9. His splits are almost identical, so there's no issue there. On top of that he's rated an 11 at second and a 10 at short.

Last year we had Jharod Thealer and Joey O'Brien manning the middle of the infield, but the mid season trade that spelled their departure for the #1 overall pick Amos Swallows seemed like a shift in direction for the Jackrabbits team who all season seemed to struggle to stay above water. They were constantly threatened to even make the playoffs. It seems like there will be shift this season though. Ngowa looks like he could handle some games at second too with a OBP at .388 last season that totaled a 1.0 WAR in only 186 at bats. We talked about Hsaio in the prior series installment for first base, but he could see time here as well.

I think the most likely candidate is likely Espinosa unless something strange happens. There is another rookie who looks ready that might get that start at third base this season. Could Steven Collins III get pushed over to second base? He certainly wouldn't be as instinctual as a fielder there, but we have flirted with that possibility before, mostly so he could have the flexibility if we needed it. Is this the time where we tap into that. I'm sliding Collins over to start ST at second, but I don't love the idea of keeping him there for an entire season.

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: 42.6 Checking the Locks: Second Base

Post by jleddy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:27 am

You could always convert Ngowa from a throw rug into a welcome mat for Espinosa.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:04 am

lol in the Landis we all watched Ngowa evolve from throw rug to red carpet and now Espinosa is walking down it. Thealer left and we rolled out the red carpet for Pepe.

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:05 am

With all the offense you have I could see Collins at second and your newest stud at third.

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:26 am

recte44 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:05 am
With all the offense you have I could see Collins at second and your newest stud at third.
Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning. Espinosa at short and Menzies in center. I'm just infatuated by an Espinosa/Menzies middle infield and I continue to battle myself over how I can make that happen.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”