42.5 Checking the Locks: First Base

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

42.5 Checking the Locks: First Base

Post by crobillard » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:27 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the second of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the first base position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Mons Raider, Yi-ke Hsaio
Trying to get in the door: Takeichi Ohayashi

The biggest change from last year is that Fernando Cruz is missing. It's no secret that we are willing to resign him, but to this point we wanted him for much less than he desired. With Julio Alicea off the table, with some creative budget finagling Cruz could be landing with Edmonton for another season. For now we'll focus on what we have.

Raider is due to return around the start of the season, but wont see action in the spring because of his nasty broken kneecap injury he suffered last September. It still doesn't show up in his injury log, so I always have trouble finding the injury, but it's just on his player page. He seems to be okay though and will be right as rain once the season begins. This is a contract year for him though and after his first two seasons in Edmonton without significant injury issues, we obviously want to tie him down in a deal. It doesn't seem like that's what Mons wants though, so we're likely to see a split between Raider and the Jackrabbits after this season. The big question is whether Raider at 31 years old can continue to perform as he has done the past two seasons. Last season he batted .323/.469/.420 with his highest walk total ever at 137, he was 86 for 91 in SBAs for a 5.7 WAR. Before he got hurt in early September he was challenging Sawyer Silk for the highest single season runs total at 166. Mons cross home plate 148 times in 2041. If he comes anywhere close to that this year, it'll be a good season for the Jackrabbits offense.

The other player sure to make the team is versatile right side infielder Hsaio. He plays first and second well and hits some too. He's not perfect, but he's a solid backup at both positions and is a good bet to make around 100 starts a season because of injuries and such. He rocked out last season too with a .288/.336/.421 batting line with 33 doubles in 444 at bats and a 1.0 WAR. Not bad. He'll continue to hold down that role. While I hold a strong belief he could be an every day starter on some teams in the BBA, Hsaio will remain my backup option that can cover two positions well. In case of emergency break glass and get Hsaio.

Ohayashi is a bit of a meme at this point. On paper the guy looks good enough to fold into a few starts, certainly makes the team. He was the fifth overall pick in 2035! I just don't want to give up on him. He plays first base really well I guess. That's kind of the issue too. He doesn't do much else really well. Even in AAA he's inconsistent. He would be fine hitting major league pitchers, but at first base you definitely want someone who is better than fine. Not a great chance he makes the team.

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: 42.5 Checking the Locks: First Base

Post by jleddy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:23 am

crobillard wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:27 pm
Ohayashi is a bit of a meme at this point.

"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:02 am

lmao truuuuuu

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:06 am

Haha

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic