41.10 Checking the Locks: Bullpen

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

crobillard
Ex-GM

41.10 Checking the Locks: Bullpen

Post by crobillard » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:23 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the tenth of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the bullpen in this post.

Sure fire locks:
Jorge Huerta
Jose Luna
Vincente Ventura
Ignacio Castaneda

Near lock:
Alfonso Guzman

Trying to get in the door:
Luis Marquez
Don Hinxman
Arturo Lopez

Using everyone as stoppers last season worked out well for Edmonton. Huerta amassed 162 innings pitched with a 20-4 record, 27 saves, a 2.28 ERA, only allowed 125 hits and 50 walks while striking out 165 batters and he finished third in JL Reliever voting in a year that was ruled by fantastic relievers, still I'll take my 20-4 reliever. He might have been one of the 111 win Edmonton's MVPs of the season appearing in an incredible 82 games. If he pitches anywhere close to as well as he did last season we should do well again.

Luna was no slouch either, but once Huerta went out with an injury in the playoffs, Luna choked. He pitched in 56 games though with 85 innings with a 4-4 record, 22 saves, a 2.22 ERA, allowing 68 hits and 21 walks while striking out 29. He's never been close to as good as he was last season, but with a FIP of 3.04 he could be that good if our defense hold up, but a noticeable decline in defense might hurt our pitching.

Ventura and Castaneda round out the core of the bullpen I have no idea what to expect out of Ventura every year. with 7/7/7 ratings against lefties and 5/5/6 ratings against righties you expect him to be better against lefties, but he continues to shock me with how solid he his regardless of the hitter. He had a 2.44 ERA in 73 innings in 2039 and while he was limited in 24 innings because of Huerta's beast mode, but he had a 3.38 ERA through those innings. Castaneda is a really cool pitcher and he did very well in his limited innings last season too. He pitched in 24 innings with a 0.75 ERA limited opponents to 11 hits, seven walks, while striking out 25. if we can continue to limit his innings, he could still be okay.

Guzman was selected in the rule 5 draft off Rockville this offseason. I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep him on the roster, but I could certainly use the extra arm. When the bullpen had injuries last season it was scary and we're already down Chet Parrish that forces Akahori and Gallegos into the rotation. Guzman is the opposite of Ventura with 6/7/7 ratings against RHP, but he noticeably worst against lefties. He's 22 years old and he's never pitched in the majors before though, so I'm tempted to give him a shot.

Marquez, Hinxman and Lopez almost certainly will start the year in the minors with Marquez being the most interesting of the three. Marquez is rated 5/6/6, but is 6/7/6 against RHB. He shouldn't be allowed to pitch against LHB with 4/5/5 ratings against them. He has another point of stuff to gain, but at 21 years old and the state of the bullpen currently, it's reasonable to think that he will get a shot at some point as I hope my manager uses him correctly. Hinxman used to be an interesting starting pitcher prospect before his various lumps, but now rated 4/6/6 with 8/2/6 potential pitches, he's no longer a great option from the pen even if he's a lefty. He might get a few innings someday, but feel free to look past him. Lopez has seen significant time in the majors, but he's not the pitcher he was even if he's still young at 25. He totally lost his control and choked in the majors. He's only brought out in the most desperate times. His ratings aren't terrible at 7/7/5 against RHB, but he allowed 15 runs in eight innings last season and 23 runs in 30.2 innings the season prior, so it's safe to say that Lopez probably isn't going to be given another shot until he can prove he can be productive again.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”