41.8 Checking the Locks: Right Field

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

41.8 Checking the Locks: Right Field

Post by crobillard » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:50 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the eighth of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the right field position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Myeung-hwan Kim
Near lock: Pedro Huerta
Trying to get in the door: Sebastian Fradesso, Robert Menzies

This position looks a lot different than last year. William Wood was non-tendered at the end of last season and I did it without much thought because of Pedro Huerta. This guy is so ready and I cannot wait to watch him pop off in the majors. Of course there is a chance he chokes in spring training. If that's the case I'll start him in AAA. I thought about it anyways to save a year of arbitration, but I don't really care. I want the wins. Let me tell you about my boy Pedro. First, he's a lefty and he's fully developed. He's rated 9/11/7/5/9 against RHP and a respectable 7/9/6/4/8 against LHP. Last season in AAA he WRECKED to the tune of .322/.386/.669 in 311 at bats with 41 XBHs and 20 homeruns. That's only in half a season 82 games btw. He's also durable. His only issue is his 6 rating in RF. Unfortunate, but I can't wait to see what this dude can do with a full season.

Kim returns in this psuedo-backup role. I would honestly love to start him to see what he could do, but I have better options. He's pretty good. A high contact hitter that will hit a ton of XBHs against righties. He's a lefty on top of it, so he'll see some time coming off the bench. He's rated 10/9/2/3/11 vs. RHP and he has a lot of speed with 11 speed, 10 stealing and 10 baserunning, so he can do some damage if he gets to the batter's box, but with our outfield he's regulated to a backup position since he can't play center well.

Fradesso and Menzies are prospects for now. Fradesso is a little closer to a debut and he'll be good. No idea where he'll play though. He's rated 6/7/4/6/7 with 8/7/7/6/8 potentials. He's also another corner outfielder although he'll be able to play the corner outfield a little better than Jose Salas or Huerta. Fradesso hit .301/.350/.449 in AAA last season with 20 XBHs and 10 homeruns in 84 games. With a full season in AAA, Fradesso should be able to fill out and move one of these guys to DH.

Menzies is an entirely different story. I could place him just about anywhere in this series. He's the perfect utility guy currently able to play SS, 3B, CF or RF at an 8 or higher. He's rated 10/9/8/10 for infield defensive ratings and 10/11/11 in outfield ratings. When I drafted him I thought, strong backup guy that could play anywhere. Then, he bumped, big. He's now rated 8/5/4/5/5 actuals with 8/5/4/8/5 potentials. If he picks up those points in eye this year, he could be starting next year. He could even threaten for a starting position this year, but he's not likely to make the opening day roster. He's 19 years old btw and is a lefty that hits the same against lefties, oh and he also throws righty. He's a unicorn. I love this guy.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”