41.5 Checking the Locks: Shortstop

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

41.5 Checking the Locks: Shortstop

Post by crobillard » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:07 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the fifth of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the shortstop position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Joey O'Brien
Trying to get in the door: Tim Ray, Pepe Espinosa

This position is quickly becoming all about Pepe Espinosa more than Joey O'Brien. There's a 90% chance O'Brien is the starter all season, but Espinosa is coming along a lot faster than I expected. First, let's talk about the incumbent. O'Brien is fine in every respect. The 24 year old had a -2.5 ZR and 12 errors for a .978 defensive percentage last season. I'm starting there because his defense is better than his offense. He hit .268/.322/.365. He's definitely a bottom of the lineup kind of guy, but he's not the worst you could have in that spot. He typically hits better too, so he's alright, but he's not excellent by any means.

I'm a big fan of Espinosa though. He was acquired in the infamous Bobby Lynch trade that resulted in a Landis appearance for Calgary. Espinosa has 6/9/6/4/6 actuals with 7/9/7/4/8 potentials with 10 defensive ratings at second and short. He's undoubtedly the middle infielder of the future for Edmonton, but the big question, like last year's for Jose Salas, is will he be called up. Espinosa could use more time in AAA, but he could certainly start on a team today.

Ray is battling for a spot on the roster and it's looking less likely with the Hakim Ngowa acquisition. Ray doesn't have much of a bat, but he can play second base pretty well. He's also from Edmonton. Last year he started 26 games due to injuries late in the season to the middle infield. He was horrendous though. I don't think Ray will ever get a chance to start again and if he makes it to the majors it will take a pretty good effort from him.

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: 41.5 Checking the Locks: Shortstop

Post by jleddy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:14 pm

I Heart Pepe
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

crobillard
Ex-GM

Re: 41.5 Checking the Locks: Shortstop

Post by crobillard » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:22 pm

Same dude. Pepe is awesome. I can't wait to see him in the bigs, but I refuse to rush him. I have another season of O'Brien and second base is solid with Thealer, Hsaio and Ngowa holding it down. It will take some mighty injury issues before I call up Pepe too early.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”