41.2 Checking the Locks: First Base

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

41.2 Checking the Locks: First Base

Post by crobillard » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:58 am

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the second of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the first base position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Fernando Cruz, Mons Raider, Yi-ke Hsaio
Trying to get in the door: Takeichi Ohayashi, Carlomaria Donadoni

I think any one of these FIVE players could start for the Jackrabbits. Talk about depth. The clear starter is the speedy Raider. His first season in Edmonton last season resulted in a .306/.428/.399 batting line with 120 OPS+, 122 wRC+ and 79 stolen bases in 88 attempts. More importantly the oft-injured Madison alumni played in 146 games, his highest total since 2037. He had a +2.3 ZR at first so there are no problems defensively there either. As long as he's healthy, Raider will continue starting at first.

There was a time when I considered starting Cruz at first. With much better defensive options now, that consideration is far in the past. Cruz is a designated hitter for sure. I've considered trading him since it's his last contract year and I have other players ready to call up, but without an offer that's better than a potential supplemental pick, Cruz isn't going anywhere. He hit .279/.368/.492 last season with 30 homers and 34 XBHs. He's a solid hitter that plays much better outside of Edmonton.

Hsaio is the only true backup amongst my infield, but it's not because he isn't good. His rookie season he hit 50 doubles in his only full season as a starter. He's been good since then and even better last season in his limited 90 games played. Last season he hit .301/.362/.460 with 31 XBHs in 322 at bats. He's deserving of a starting position somewhere, but teams haven't been very interested in trading for him.

The most exciting player to come from the Edmonton farm system is probably Donadoni. His ratings are outstanding at 9/9/10/6/7 potentials. He's sitting at 7/8/7/5/6 actuals, but he crushes LHPs while not losing anything against RHPs. He's rated 9/9/8/6/7 against lefties and he would do very well if he was called up for this year. I don't see it happening, but if the Edmonton offense struggles at the start the calling to bring up Donadoni may be too strong to push away.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”