40.3 Checking the Locks: Second Base

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

40.3 Checking the Locks: Second Base

Post by crobillard » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:06 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the third of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the second base position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Jharod Thealer, Yi-ke Hsaio
Trying to get in the door: Qian Tse

Recent acquisition, Thealer is expected to be the starter for most games at second base, but Hsaio will likely take games against left handed pitching. Thealer is a strong, young player that's much better suited for second base. He's moved over to shortstop for many of his recent seasons despite a -10.5 ZR in 2039 and -12.6 ZR in 2037. He's a good hitter, so he's worth getting in the lineup despite any challenges he's had in the field. Last season he had a 3.1 WAR through 147 games with a .281/.419/.367 batting line. He's held that WAR around three for the previous seasons as well. 6/5/2/9/7 batting ratings help him with getting on base. Last year he racked up 121 walks. He's definitely worth keeping at the plate versus left handed pitchers just for his patience alone, so we'll see how that develops through the season. He'll turn 25 years old this year. The biggest concern after this deal is that Thealer's contract expires after the season, so Edmonton will need to immediately start discussions for a contract extension.

I talked about Hsaio in the first base post, but I wanted to mention him here as well since there is a good chance of him seeing significant time at second as well. 2038 is his only full season at second and he wasn't bad defensively with only 12 errors and a -2.3 ZR, so he's a good option in the middle of the infield as well as first base.

This year looked better than any previous year for Tse. The 28 year old has been trying to break ground into the majors for several seasons now. His ratings are not terrible, we've just been getting more talented options to fill the holes with. He's rated 6/5/3/4/8 with a 6 rated defense at second base. He should never be a regular starter, but Tse could patch a hole in a jam. With that said, we don't have a ton of backup options in the infield, so Tse could certainly get a spot on the active roster, but it's a little further way than it was prior to the addition of Thealer.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”