40.1 Checking the Locks: Catcher

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

crobillard
Ex-GM

40.1 Checking the Locks: Catcher

Post by crobillard » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:07 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the first of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the catcher position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Eric Fabre, David Katzenbogen
Trying to get in the door: Leon Romo

Fabre has been the mainstay behind the plate for the last five seasons. He's been mostly unchallenged for the position and probably rightfully so, he's a career .254/.318/.445 batter and is solid behind the plate. Through five years he's amassed 12.2 WAR. None of that is outstanding, but that's not really Fabre's game. He's mostly just a solid, productive hitter that wont embarrassed you much behind the plate. However, this might be the first time we question how long Fabre's tenure behind the plate may last. This is the last year of his contract and the durable catcher is reportedly asking for high compensation for his consistency over the years.

Acquired in 2038 from Madison, Katzenbogen is the picture perfect defensive catcher. He has a 14 rating behind the plate which is the best in the league. Maybe the best we've ever seen? He could start, but his bat is atrocious with his walk rate being the only thing that might provide the slightest modicum of respect. He started for Madison in 2036 in 108 games. His hitting ability was not much to mention with a .201/.285/.301 batting line and a 0.1 WAR. His defensive stats that season are most noteworthy being a defense-focused catcher and all. He only had two errors and a +4.4 ZR. Not quite sure what ZR is as a catcher, foul balls caught? He threw out 33.8% of runners though for a total of 24 runners caught stealing. It's hard to get the ball past him too with only four passed balls. Really good, but does that sound like the best defensive BBA catcher in history? Not sure. Regardless, I don't think there is any doubt that he will make the team. If Fabre got injured, I think I would happily start Katzenbogen especially since I learned from the league that catchers have an impact on pitching through ball and strike calls.

The newcomer this season is Romo and I'm comfortable saying that he has a good shot at actually making the team. Ordinarily I would never keep three catchers on the active roster, but with Fabre probably departing after this season, I think it's a good idea to get a look at all of my starting options in the future so I can decide whether I should be trying to make a move for someone else. Romo is interesting as well, rated 6/6/1/3/9 with a 7 catcher ability via an 8 ability rating and a 6 arm at the position. More importantly, Romo is turning 25 this year while Katzenbogen is 28 years old, so I have a few extra years to play with in cost control. I'll certainly need to see how good his bat is to determine whether I should bring him up this season or to return him to AAA in exchange for someone more versatile.

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: 40.1 Checking the Locks: Catcher

Post by jleddy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:03 pm

Love this series...great work! I know a lot goes into each one.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

crobillard
Ex-GM

Re: 40.1 Checking the Locks: Catcher

Post by crobillard » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:24 pm

jleddy wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:03 pm
Love this series...great work! I know a lot goes into each one.
Lol not nearly as much that goes into everyone else's. It's just what I can do. I'm thinking through it all and just jotting down my thoughts. I like going back and looking at previous years. Reminds me of certain things I did. Much of it is just going through the motions at this point. I've always enjoyed the series, but it's more to help me than some creative writing endeavor. I'd love to do that like the bigger writers on here, but I'm just not that good as a writer tbh. Thanks for the complement though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”