39.16 A Post-Bobby Lynch Jackrabbits Future #11 Damon Tipping

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

39.16 A Post-Bobby Lynch Jackrabbits Future #11 Damon Tipping

Post by crobillard » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:15 am

I think Damon Tipping is the first pitcher on this list that not only will make the team eventually, but I think he'll be pretty good. He'll be a low end starter now, but all three pitches are pretty good and his changeup is fantastic rated at 11, if he makes it all the way there. He'll be 20 next year. He's performing alright in the minors. The only concern with him is that he's been lumping since he got drafted which we will definitely discuss here.

He was drafted in last year's amateur draft with the 13th pick in round 2. He's shot through the minors with his quick progression, drafted at 3/5/4 with 8/7/6 potentials, he's now at 4/6/6 with 6/7/6 pitches, but has lumped his potentials down to 7/6/6 with 8/7/11 pitches. Unfortunately, Tipping is probably an example of when you promote a player too early. Especially when you rocket them through the minors like I have. In 2038, he spent most of his time between Rookie league and Single A. In Rookie league he was 1-2 with a 3.12 ERA in 26 innings and probably just should have finished the season there, but I got excited and promoted him to Single A far too quickly. He finished the season in Charlesbourg 1-3 with a 5.82 ERA in 43.1 innings.

At that point, this year I certainly wouldn't promote him again right? Incorrect. I promoted him to AA Saskatchewan where he spent very little time to the tune of 12 innings between 2038 and 2039. He spent nearly all of this season in AAA, throwing in 174.1 innings with a 9-11 record and a 4.80 ERA. He had a 1.39 WHIP and struck out 101 batters.

He's only 19 so there was no need for the rush, I was just careless with my minors which clearly just spells a recipe for disaster. With his quick progression, I got excited about him and thought his ratings could handle the quick promotions, but that definitely wasn't the case. Luckily, he's still pretty solid. He currently projects to be a bottom of the rotation starter.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”