39.7 Checking the Locks: Center Field

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

crobillard
Ex-GM

39.7 Checking the Locks: Center Field

Post by crobillard » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:11 am

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the seventh of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the center field position in this post.

Sure fire locks: William Wood
Trying to get in the door: Jose Carlos Moreno, Luis Claudio

Wood is so freaking good. I am not sure I appreciated Wood enough until during the Landis when he threw out a runner at home plate. Great defense, good speed (stole 33 bases in 2038) and a big bat (32 homeruns in 2038). He has only missed 30 games total over his first three seasons. He does have a problem with striking out, but I love having him on the team. I've probably received more trade offers for him than any other player on my team. Last year was actually a down year for him, so I'm hoping he can pick it back up in 2039, but he's certainly in no danger of losing his position in Spring Training.

Moreno is the start of my search for a backup centerfielder. His offense isn't great with 4/7/5/5/6 ratings that only get slightly better against RHP. His defense is pretty good though. 8 range, 8 error and 7 arm in the outfield. He even has decent ratings in the infield and could easily be plugged in for first base, but I have Luis Soto to cover the defensive replacement at first, so that's not a huge concern. Moreno is challenging Claudio for that backup spot. Claudio is the better player on paper. Good batter ratings at 6/7/6/4/7 and he's good defensively with 7 range, 8 error and 9 arm, but there are a couple problems. The first is that he's only rated as a 4 in center currently and I really would like to stick him in CF in AAA so he can progress there. The other issue is that he's a massive douchebag in the locker room. He's listed as disruptive for team chemistry. It hasn't affected the team much in the past because we have a lot of positive players, but I've wanted to get rid of him because of how much he's hated.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”