39.6 Checking the Locks: Left Field

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

crobillard
Ex-GM

39.6 Checking the Locks: Left Field

Post by crobillard » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:02 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the sixth of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the left field position in this post.

Sure fire locks: John Garcia, Luis Costello
Trying to get in the door: Juan Reyes, Masaharu Suzuki, Jose Salas

Left field is a position this spring that will have a collection of good bats and terrible defense aside from Costello. As trade discussions were frequent this offseason, Costello was another player discussed often. He hasn't had an injury that has put him out of action for more than six days since his rookie season when he was out for two weeks, so he has been pretty reliable over the past four seasons. Last year was tough at the plate for him with only 1.0 WAR, he is set to bounce back given his 2.9, 3.3 and 4.2 WAR from '35-'37. He also his 32 homeruns in Edmonton's pitcher's park which is the best number of his career. Garcia is the other sure fire lock. The 25 year old lefty will crush RHP with a 9 power rating, but combines well with Costello who hits LHP so well. Costello definitely has the edge in this matchup and it's his job to lose against righties. At the tail end of last season, I was just taking the hot bat and putting him out there, but I would much prefer Costello in left because Garcia is not good defensively.

We will be getting a look at Suzuki, Reyes and top prospect Salas as well. Suzuki and Reyes are actually competing for a potential roster spot. Reyes hits RHP well with 6/8/6/6/6 ratings, but will hurt the team in the field with a 1 range and 4 outfield error ratings. He could be a nice bat to pinch hit with though. Suzuki is less likely due to 5/7/7/6/4 ratings against righties and on 4 range and 6 outfield error, but we'll take a look at him regardless.

Salas is interesting. I doubt he sees time in the majors this season at only 19 years old and plenty of pots to fill out, but he could definitely get some hits and while he isn't fantastic in the outfield he wouldn't be atrocious I suppose. His current ratings are 6/9/4/5/5 with 10/10/6/8/9. Absolutely needs time to cook, but we want to see how he could perform against major league pitching. Maybe he will bump a little too :)

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”