39.4 Checking the Locks: Third Base

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

39.4 Checking the Locks: Third Base

Post by crobillard » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:36 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the fourth of twelve parts. I will be taking a look into the third base position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Steven Collins III
Near lock: Luis Soto

So obviously Collins is ridiculously good. If you haven't heard, he pulled off a hidden ball trick successfully in game 5 of the Landis Memorial Series. He had a .340/.402/.520 batting line last season, a 7.2 WAR with 50 doubles, six triple and 19 homeruns. He also stole 74 bases while only getting caught 12 times. Also, he bumped during the offseason. He's an absolutely beast. I'd love to move him to left field or second base since his defense is iffy, but for now he's staying at third.

Soto has been around for awhile. He's 35 years old and provides some solid production. Okay to good defense at four different position and hit for a .299 batting avg in a very limited 67 at bats last season. Not terrible, but not great either. He's probably the favorite to stick around, but I wouldn't rule out finally replacing him with a younger, better option.

Either way, third base is definitely the easiest decision we have to make in spring training. Collins isn't going anywhere.

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: 39.4 Checking the Locks: Third Base

Post by jleddy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:49 am

Soto looks like a quintessential "glue guy" that every team ought to have...doesn't kill you on offense, versatile defender, offers speed, favorable contract, veteran presence. Glad he got a ring before it was all said and done.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

crobillard
Ex-GM

Re: 39.4 Checking the Locks: Third Base

Post by crobillard » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:54 am

jleddy wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:49 am
Soto looks like a quintessential "glue guy" that every team ought to have...doesn't kill you on offense, versatile defender, offers speed, favorable contract, veteran presence. Glad he got a ring before it was all said and done.
Absolutely. He’s been around for awhile and I almost didn’t resign him last offseason. He’s not great by any calculation, but he’s solid.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”