39.3 Checking the Locks: Second Base

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

39.3 Checking the Locks: Second Base

Post by crobillard » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:49 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the third of twelve parts. I will be taking a look into the second base position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Fernando Martinez, Yi-ke Hsaio
Trying to get in the door: Qian Tse, Tim Ray

When Fernando Martinez was acquired last season, my expectation was that he would be my shortstop for the foreseeable future. He only had five errors which was awesome, but he had a -2.2 ZR and I was looking to move him over to second and move Hsaio and his .983 fielding percentage and -2.3 ZR to first. Since I still have Dusty Rhodes, we have one too many starter quality players. I acquired Joey O'Brien during the offseason and he will definitely be covering shortstop, so I'm in a good position, but I prefer to be able to trade Fernando Martinez and his terrible contract or Dusty Rhodes so I can move Hsaio over. I have had offers, but I've had a bit on analysis paralysis as well because if I trade Rhodes, I'm probably stuck with Martinez's contract and cannot resign some high priced players. If I trade Martinez, then I have to keep Hsaio's mediocre defense at second.

Hsaio had a .280/.330/.462 batting line last season with 50 doubles and 17 homeruns that resulted in a 2.4 WAR, so he's definitely worth of a starting position. So is Martinez and his .284/.317/.389 batting line that gave him a 1.3 WAR, but he's been much better than that too. Just a year prior he had 54 doubles. Not to mention his 11 infield error rating and 10 positional rating at second. He should start too. Rhodes doesn't really need to be defended regarding his starting spot, but he has been solid for a very long time. .345/.391/.438 batting line for a 1.9 WAR in 2038.

If any of them do get traded, Tse and Ray are the offensive and defensive options in the minors. Tse is tempting offensively because he's really solid against LHP with 7/6/4/4/9 ratings against lefties that remains solid against RHP. A 6 positional rating at second allows him a good chance to make the team if he could perform well in ST. Ray is an option that is a little further away. His bat is totally a dud, but his defense is really good and while he hasn't played much in the outfield he totally could. A running speed of 11 could get him a utility/pinch runner spot on the roster if we feel we could use it.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”