39.2 Checking the Locks: First Base

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

crobillard
Ex-GM

39.2 Checking the Locks: First Base

Post by crobillard » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:16 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the second of eleven parts. I will be taking a look into the first base position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Dusty Rhodes, Fernando Cruz
Trying to get in the door: Takeichi Ohayashi

I was hopeful at the beginning of last season that Cruz could drive my runs scored from 826 in 2037 to over 900 in 2038. That didn't happen as we scored 858, but it was at no fault of Cruz or anyone in the first base position. Cruz hit .294/.349/.535 with 31 homeruns and 97 RBIs in 493 at bats. He was injured for a little over a month and that brought some totals down for him. A 2.4 WAR is not a bad start to his time in Edmonton, though. Rhodes turned 35 years old recently and he is showing no signs of slowing down. He hit for a .345 batting average last season in 646 at bats. He was a huge annoyance to opposing pitchers with his ability to churn out singles consistently. They are both on the trade block though as Edmonton is looking to save cash and I'll touch on this in the next installment, but we are looking to move Yi-ke Hsaio over to first base so we can make some defensive improvements this season.

Ohayashi was the fifth overall pick in 2035, but he's fizzled out in a big way. He is currently rated 6/9/4/4/6 with 7/9/6/4/6 potentials and his defense looks solid but unspectacular. I'd like to see what he can do when facing better pitching. I'm definitely rooting for him, but unless some moves are made he's likely to be facing AAA arms this season.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”