38.16 Checking the Locks: Final Results

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

38.16 Checking the Locks: Final Results

Post by crobillard » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:25 am

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the eleventh of twelve parts. I will be compiling the results of all the previous posts here

Sure fire locks: Eric Fabre, Dusty Rhodes, Fernando Cruz, Yi-ke Hsaio, Steven Collins III, George Bluth, Fernando Martinez, Luis Costello, William Wood, Mitch Dalrymple, John Garcia, Bobby Lynch, Jubal Troop, Jesus Ramos, Chet Parrish, Francisco Ruiz, Jorge Huerta, John Jefferson

Near locks: David Katzenbogen, Christophe Claudel, Luis Soto, Gordon Burkett, Mike Gilbert, Taisuke Suzuki, Johnny Morin, Arturo Lopez, Wen Huang

Trying to get in the door: Larry Ledezma,António Valentín, Luis Rocha, Nakao Honma, Qian Tse, Masaharu Suzuki, Danny Peters, Luis Claudio, Justin Sproule, Derrick Terry, Jorge Elizondo

18 players in 2038 are sure fire locks compared to JUST 13 in 2037. Wow! Before I get into what changed allow me to say that I think the additional five players has a couple reasons. One, I made several trades this offseason that brought in higher quality players in return for prospects or young players. Two, I'm learning. Last season was my first year back in the BBA after a long hiatus, so I may have been a little less certain.

Based on the sure fire locks, we will have nine positions up for grabs this spring training. That fits perfectly with all of the near locks. If we add all the near locks we'll have a perfect 27 players for the active roster. Now if all the sure fire and near locks make the team, here's where we will stand positionally.

Catcher - 2
Infield - 8
Outfield - 6
Rotation - 7
Bullpen - 4

This isn't too bad for a balance. Obviously, we're moving two of the rotation guys to bullpen. I depending on how people do I could move one or two of the infield/outfield guys to bullpen, but chances are I probably have better batters than bullpen pitchers. Plus, I feel I have more control over when a hitter I don't want to hit hits than control over a pitcher I don't want to pitch pitches.

A totally separate consideration is whether some of these trying to get in the door guys deserve a roster spot. From that group we have one catcher, four infielders, three outfielders and three pitchers. It's certainly possible one or more of these guys could blow away everyone in spring training and there are others like Elizondo that probably should get a shot in the majors.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”