38.15 Checking the Locks: Bullpen

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

crobillard
Ex-GM

38.15 Checking the Locks: Bullpen

Post by crobillard » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:43 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the tenth of twelve parts, including a prediction and end of Spring Training analysis. I will be taking a looking into the bullpen in this post.

Sure fire locks: Jorge Huerta, John Jefferson
Near lock: Arturo Lopez, Wen Huang
Trying to get in the door: Jorge Elizondo

In his first season as the closer in our bullpen, 20 year old Huerta accumulated 36 saves in 71.1 innings pitched while blowing five saves. Huerta's weaknesses were exposed in the postseason when he blew two saves and lost those games for the team. Huerta bumped his stuff this offseason and took a hit to his control, but I think he should end up with better numbers this season. I'd like to trot him out as often as possible to be honest. He has an 8 stamina and he's definitely my best reliever. I really want to find more ways to get him on the mound.

I'm honestly not sure if Jefferson should be a "sure fire lock." His ratings keep plummeting, but he keeps doing better in his stats haha. I never expected him to perform the way he is. His first season in Edmonton saw him only allow an ERA of 3.00 in 57 innings. There's nothing else notable in his stats, but he's been very solid. I think that grants him a spot on the active roster. At least to start the season. Hopefully, we'll get lucky again.

Lopez is someone I expect to perform better, but I have yet to see him actually perform well consistently. I'd like to see him perform well in the spring and earn his spot in the bullpen. I'm not sure he'll lost his spot regardless because I just don't have very many options, but I hope he does well. Huang is not really my type of player. The last two seasons he's been really solid in relief, but these big homerun allowing pitchers are not really my thing. With that said, we probably don't have a better option which makes him a near lock as well.

The rookie Elizondo nearly made the active roster last season, but I decided to hold him back another year. I find him really fascinating because of the reverse split he used to have. He's a lefty with 8/6/5 ratings with 9/7/1 pitches. Despite being a lefty, his ratings get better against RHB to the tune of 8/6/5 and worse vs. LHB 7/6/5. His ratings vs. RHB used to be stronger, so I'm thinking that while he's rated an 8 stuff vs. RHP it's a much higher 8 than his overall 8 rating.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”