38.11 Checking the Locks: Left Field

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

crobillard
Ex-GM

38.11 Checking the Locks: Left Field

Post by crobillard » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:29 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the sixth of twelve parts, including a prediction and end of Spring Training analysis. I will be taking a looking into the left field position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Luis Costello
Trying to get in the door: Masaharu Suzuki

Costello had the best season by WAR at 4.2 in his three year career. However, he performed significantly better pre-All Star break than post-All Star break. He batted .345/.402/.575 through June. He ended the season with .312/.357/.512. Obviously not bad at all, but he was certainly not as good during the last three months of the season as he was the first three months of the season. Last season was his first season in left field as well. It seemed as though prior to last season him and William Wood were swapped and Wood played much more left field. I swapped them because I thought their strengths were better suited for the opposite positions. Costello also moved down to second base for several games as well. He was really quite terrible defensively there. I'll speak more about why I did that so often in the right field post, but Costello may never see another game at second base with the acquisition of Yi-ke Hsaio.

Suzuki is likely far off from a shot on the active roster, but I want to get another look at him this season as we could use a power bat off the bench. Rated 5/7/7/6/4 against RHP he could spell Mike Gilbert in the outfield if one of the outfielders fell to injury. Hopefully it never comes to that because I'm not too impressed with Suzuki on paper.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”