38.10 Checking the Locks: Shortstop

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

38.10 Checking the Locks: Shortstop

Post by crobillard » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:49 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the fifth of twelve parts, including a prediction and end of Spring Training analysis. I will be taking a looking into the shortstop position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Fernando Martinez, George Bluth
Near lock: Luis Soto

I've discussed the value of George Bluth and Luis Soto quite a bit. Quick note about Bluth as it relates to shortstop. He was subbed in for SS in 50 games last season, he ended last season with a +2.0 ZR and a .971 fielding percentage. He's certainly capable of playing a solid SS, but he might not be my best option defensively. His rating suggest more solid play, but Martinez might be a more dependable option. Over his career in 338 games at SS he only had a +10.5 ZR, but had a .980 fielding percentage. Maybe Bluth and Martinez are comparable defensively with Bluth having a little more range and Martinez having a few less errors, but I thought this was worth noting. Soto is definitely lower on the totem pole for defensive options at short, but he has the most professional experience out of all of them, even if that experience is three years away from being current. He has good career numbers at SS with a .980 fielding percentage and +48.1 ZR in 819 games at SS. Three years ago though it was evident he lost a step. With 80 games at SS, he ended the season with a -7.3 ZR and a .939 fielding percentage. So, while he can play SS, he's probably an emergency plan.

Another major reason I acquire Martinez was his bat. He lead the Brewster last season in doubles with a whopping 54 of them. I'm hoping he can keep that production up in the bottom half of the lineup getting on base for some of the power on the bottom of the lineup like Eric Fabre. Martinez's ratings are 7/7/3/4/9 so I'm not sure he's a consistent 50+ doubles guy, but the last several seasons he's been good for 30-40 doubles, he's a .747 OPS hitter over his career and the last two seasons he's had 2.8 and 2.5 WAR respectively. I'm hoping this lineup will allow him to be more productive, but even he is as productive as his career numbers are I'll be very happy. My thought is that he'll be in the bottom of the lineup most of the time unless there's an injury. He may be swapped with Dusty Rhodes in the #2 slot of the lineup depending on who is slumping and such. I'm excited about our versatility.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”