38.6 Checking the Locks: Catcher

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

crobillard
Ex-GM

38.6 Checking the Locks: Catcher

Post by crobillard » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:01 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the first of twelve parts, including a prediction and end of Spring Training analysis. I will be taking a looking into the catcher position in this post.

Sure fire locks: Eric Fabre
Trying to get in the door: Larry Ledezma

With Miguel Valencia leaving for free agency, Ledezma is again fighting for his role as a backup catcher. After winning the role last spring training, the team decided they needed a little more pop. Valencia's powerful bat gave them a .780 OPS in a very limited 64 at bats. Ledezma is pretty fair at everything he does, so he's not the best. Ideally we would be looking for a good defensive catcher to back up Fabre's okay defense. Fabre has a strong arm though, so he can get runners out most of the time.

I was down on Fabre a little bit in last year's installment of Checking the Locks. I was quickly corrected by the league letting me know that Fabre is actually a good option there. he proved me wrong last season too with a .890 OPS with 31 homeruns and a .270 batting average. He's very solid and I love having him in the lineup. Especially, so since he's not even in the top five on my lineup. He can really anchor down the bottom of the lineup and make them productive. This position should continue to be productive this season.

Two concerns though. A better backup solution is definitely required. If Fabre goes down for any length of time, certainly my worst hitter on the team will be inserted into the lineup. He also happens to be probably one of my worst defensive options. The other concern is Fabre's contract. He's okay for this year, but we have to start thinking about his extension and what that looks like. There is no one worth consideration behind him in the minors, so we will definitely need to resign him unless a miracle happens.

niles08
BBA GM

Re: 38.6 Checking the Locks: Catcher

Post by niles08 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:01 pm

I'm really jealous of this writing series and plan to steal it 100% for Omaha.

On a side note, I wish I had a catcher like Fabre.

Nice writing man.

felipe
Ex-GM

Post by felipe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:19 pm

Yeah

Much better than anything I got

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:11 pm

niles08 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:01 pm
I'm really jealous of this writing series and plan to steal it 100% for Omaha.

On a side note, I wish I had a catcher like Fabre.

Nice writing man.
Lmao thanks. Have at it.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:43 pm

Fabre went to Edmonton in the deal that brought me Mauro Saucedo and Juan Lopez. Saucedo is a mid-level CF, and Lopez is still a semi-prospect. So the jury is out. But, yes, I've always liked Fabre.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:49 am

RonCo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:43 pm
Fabre went to Edmonton in the deal that brought me Mauro Saucedo and Juan Lopez. Saucedo is a mid-level CF, and Lopez is still a semi-prospect. So the jury is out. But, yes, I've always liked Fabre.
Oh, thanks for the background. I like Saucedo and Lopez. Both are really solid. I suppose if Lopez doesn't develop anymore than that will be sad, but Saucedo is a good outfielder. Fabre had a big year for him last year, but I'm not sure whether that level of production will be the norm for him. I like him though.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:27 am

Saucedo is very streaky and has always been a borderline defensive center fielder, but yes, we like him...Lopez was the gem of the deal, a 5-star International Complex guy that everyone thought made the deal a trade rape. He was deeply under-developed, though, and has been losing potential every year while being very slow to develop. Fabre was very near to being ready, and I also included a useful but not elite stop-gap 1B and a mediocre RP/SP prospect in the deal.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”