38.3 Mark Larkin Disaster

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

crobillard
Ex-GM

38.3 Mark Larkin Disaster

Post by crobillard » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:00 pm

We all look for particular qualities in a manager. How good are they at managing a game, choosing the right players to play, developing players, managing depth and injuries, managing fatigue, etc. They become a problem when they are bad at any one of these of course. Mark Larkin is a temperamental manager of thirty years experience. When I signed him last year I thought he would be a great addition and paid him well since he had an excellent rated reputation. However, I didn't look closely enough into Larkin. The game describes him as such:

Mark Larkin Jr. has a very good reputation as a manager. He prefers a balanced, conventional style.

Not bad so far....

Often inconsolable after losses, Mark manages with emotion.

Okay, could go badly, but it's not an inherently bad quality.

His fiery personality will certainly anger some players, and cause some outbursts, but there's a reason he's made it as far as he had.

Coming from someone hiring the guy to manage a team this is bad, but I didn't realize the problems it would cause. Then, there's the last line.

He literally eats children and babies after losing games.

Maybe I made that up, but this guy caused me a lot of problems.

I recently just traded for Jabal Troop. I knew he was on the last year of his contract and I knew I wanted to nail down an extension ASAP because he would probably have a great season in Edmonton. I went to sign him and Troop said he did not want to play for my manager. Then, I realized that Larkin didn't get along with several of my players. This feature in OOTP is all new to me. Last time I played they didn't have this feature, so I didn't realize this would happen.

Then, I looked at all the other players that didn't want to sign extensions because of Larkin. Many of my young players in arbitration, Larkin was signed beyond the time their arbitration ends. GET ME OUT OF THIS DEAL. I would have paid all sorts of money to get out of that contract with Larkin.

I'm not sure how important development and player relationship is, but I signed Juan Carlos Gonzales as my manager and while I was at it I replaced Robert Laloosh at bench coach with Will Myers. Both of these guys are young and I like them a lot. Great rating in development and relationship so hopefully it turns out alright. More than anything, I hope they don't block me from signing extensions :furious:

Ted
Ex-GM

Re: 38.3 Mark Larkin Disaster

Post by Ted » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:30 am

This is one of the worst features in the game as far as I'm concerned. I get that there is some "realism" to it, but it seems incredibly overpowered. I can't talk to maybe 5% of FA's every offseason, and other people have similar problems. It just seems a bit much.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

crobillard
Ex-GM

Re: 38.3 Mark Larkin Disaster

Post by crobillard » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:23 am

Ted wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:30 am
This is one of the worst features in the game as far as I'm concerned. I get that there is some "realism" to it, but it seems incredibly overpowered. I can't talk to maybe 5% of FA's every offseason, and other people have similar problems. It just seems a bit much.
Yeah, that is terrible. I'd prefer to have a shitty manager that doesn't scare away players. Probably why some people still have a job in the MLB lul.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”