37-8 Checking the Locks: Center Field

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

37-8 Checking the Locks: Center Field

Post by crobillard » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:40 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the seventh of twelve parts, including a prediction and end of Spring Training analysis. I will be taking a looking into center field in this post.

Sure fire locks: William Wood, Luis Costello
Trying to get in the door: Gordon Burkett

Wood is so good. He was drafter first overall in 2033. Phenomenal defensively with a good bat. His bat wont blow anyone away, but it's really good. Last year was his rookie season and he hit .251/.321/.446 with 38 extra base hits and 24 homeruns. I bet this guy will get a lot better as well. He played left mostly last year with a +15.9 ZR and only three errors. I cannot wait to see what he will do with more time.

Costello is another shockingly awesome outfielder on the Jackrabbits roster. He has two seasons under his belt and last year batted .292/.331/.511. He will be threatening a 40/40 season soon and he has good defense to top it all off. Admittedly, if my Suzuki/Gilbert platoon plan in left field doesn't work than we may see Costello move to left field and get a rating there for the first time. He looks primed for that move.

Burkett is solid. Probably my best defensive backup, but he's getting squeezed with all of the utility infielders on the roster and all of the amazing outfield options that the Jackrabbits have. He had a .825 OPS in 207 at bats last season so he is certainly worthy of a spot, it's just going to be difficult to keep all of this talent on the active roster. If he plays well in the spring then he will likely keep his spot.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”