37-6 Checking the Locks: Shortstop

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

37-6 Checking the Locks: Shortstop

Post by crobillard » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:18 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the fifth of twelve parts, including a prediction and end of Spring Training analysis. I will be taking a looking into shortstop in this post.

Sure fire locks: George Bluth
Near locks: Juan Rodriguez

Bluth was acquired in the Rule V draft. I love his defense. He wont hit well, but that's pretty typical for the middle infielders infielders in Edmonton right now. He does not have a defensive rating lower than 11 in the infield outside of first base, so he's the perfect addition if I cannot get someone who can hit the ball. He took last year off, but he was starting in San Antonio for three seasons. He had one season with a .700 OPS, but that definitely was not normal. In two seasons in which he played the majority of his time at short he posted a +18.7 ZR with 19 errors combined and he won the Gold Glove in 2033. With the Jackrabbits woes on defense last season, I am hoping he can bring some stability to the defense and help out the pitching some.

I touched on Juan Rodriguez in the post on second base, but ideally Juan Rodriguez will not see much time at shortstop. It's not that he's terrible defensively, he's fine. It's just combined with his awful performance at the plate last season, I would much rather see Bluth play every inning of this upcoming season. Of course if he's even more terrible at the plate all of this could be taken back lol.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”