37-4 Checking the Locks: Second Base

GM: Chuck Valenches

Moderator: Chuck V

crobillard
Ex-GM

37-4 Checking the Locks: Second Base

Post by crobillard » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:53 pm

This is a series where I will evaluate the options in each position leading into Spring Training. This is the third of twelve parts, including a prediction and end of Spring Training analysis. I will be taking a looking into second base in this post.

Near locks: Juan Rodriguez, Luis Soto
Trying to get in the door: Qian Tse, Nakao Honma

The infield has a lot of questions for the Jackrabbits and they did not get much done during the offseason to change it. Rodriguez is probably the closest to a lock because of his 5 mil price tag, but .176 batting average over 465 at bats last season is a huge deterrent. Soto was the starter last season and it was not clear whether he would be returning to the Jackrabbits this season, but he took a 1 mil offer and he's back with the team, but likely as a backup if he makes it through the spring. He is in a similar spot as Rodriguez. Just a bad hitter. For that level of hitting I feel like I could get better defense.

Honma and Tse are long shot options, but Honma is a good defensive option similar to Rodriguez at second and Tse looks like he could be a better hitter with serviceable defense. I just want to get them some time and how they look on the field.

Someone really needs to stand out from this group. If all of them suck then it's certainly possible none of them will play for the Jackrabbits.

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”