Down the Rabbit Hole (35.16): Mitch Named to Second All-Star Game

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

bpbrooksy
Ex-GM

Down the Rabbit Hole (35.16): Mitch Named to Second All-Star Game

Post by bpbrooksy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:10 pm

Image DALRYMPLE MAKES SECOND STRAIGHT APPEARANCE AT MIDSUMMER CLASSIC
As of July 14th, right fielder Mitch Dalrymple leads the Edmonton Jackrabbits in runs scored, stolen bases, zone rating, and Wins Above Replacement. He's played in all but two of Edmonton's games this season. And for the second time in as many major league seasons, he's been an All-Star for the young franchise.

Drafted just three seasons ago, Mitch was named the #3 prospect in the BBA ahead of his rookie debut last year. He splashed onto the scene last season with 25 homers in 128 games, winning a Zimmer for his defensive contributions and finishing second in the Gillstrom voting. Now, he's got two All-Star selections under his belt before his 23rd birthday.

"I'm almost used to them," said Dalrymple this week in San Fernando, home of the defending champions and site of this year's festivities. "I got to do this in college and again in the minor leagues...and now here I am again."

Among right fielders in the Frick, Dalrymple leads in putouts (188), assists (13), Range Factor (2.36), and Zone Rating (6.2). It's not hard to see Mitch taking home two Zimmers in as many years, but there are other plenty talented outfielders in the mix.

"Defense is huge to me," said Dalrymple. "I want to be a complete player."

So far, the D.C. native is pretty well-rounded -- and well-respected -- in the BBA.
DALRYMPLE SHAKES IT UP, GOES HITLESS IN ALL-STAR GAME It was a tough night for the young phenom, but he was grateful nonetheless.

"I'm just happy to be there," said Dalrymple after a 6-3 defeat at the hands of the Johnson League. "But I always wanna do better. I always wanna produce."

Hitting second in the Frick League starting lineup and playing right field, Dalrymple went hitless in front of 55,000 strong at Chico's Bail Bonds Field. It's hard to fault a youngster for an o-fer against the Johnson's premiere pitchers, but at the same time, Dalrymple was going in with a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

"I'm the only guy from the team going, and I know there's other deserving guys on the team," Mitch explained during the postgame media frenzy. "Plenty of people write off the team because of the record, and the history, and sure. But when you go and you represent your club like that you wanna impress, especially on this kind of a stage, and so to not do that...it is what it is."

Dalrymple attempted to spark an attack in the first inning, unsuccessfully dropping down a bunt-single attempt against Rockville's Australian ace, Arthur Dempster. The next two Frick batters would hit back-to-back home runs.

Mitch came up again in the third, this time facing Claudio Delgado, Mexico City's first-time All-Star. What followed? Yet another bunt single attempt --- again executed without much success.

"I thought maybe I could catch them by surprise by doing exactly what I'd just done," smirked Dalrymple.

Dalrymple reached base in the fifth, drawing a walk against Ryosei Akiyama of Brooklyn -- another pitcher getting his first All-Star nod. A wild pitch would bring him into scoring position, but the middle of the Frick League batting order failed to capitalize on the threat.

Finally, Mitch went down on strikes facing Robins starter Juan Hernandez in the eighth. His final line read 0-for-3, with a walk and a strikeout.

"It's still a good time," said Dalrymple. "It's fun to see the other guys and to experience something a little new for one night."
BRANDON BROOKS

Edmonton Jackrabbits: 2032 -

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Down the Rabbit Hole (35.16): Mitch Named to Second All-Star Game

Post by RonCo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:45 pm

Great player.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”