bpbrooksy
Ex-GM

Down the Rabbit Hole (35.15): Hit the Rhodes

Post by bpbrooksy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Edmonton Jackrabbits: 31-49, .388
5th in the Frick Frontier
13 GB of the Seattle Storm
MEJIA GIVEN WALKING PAPERS

The Edmonton Jackrabbits have designated 27-year-old infielder Jesus Mejia for assignment.

It was a move generally criticized -- handing a $2.2 million-dollar contract to a largely unproven shortstop. But at the end of last year, the Jackrabbits found themselves lacking depth at the position in their own system, losing out on higher-quality free agents to bigger spenders, and unwilling to address the problem with a trade.

It seems that Edmonton got what they asked for, then. Mejia put up -1.6 WAR, a 38 OPS+, and failed to make it out of the nine-hole in 79 starts with the major-league squad. It turns out that Mejia's 2034 Triple-A performance -- which featured 17 homers and a 3.4 WAR -- was not indicative of a breakout campaign at the BBA level.

Still, Mejia's departure won't hurt the club; Edmonton had plenty of budget room going into this season and have seen attendance climb over 30% for last year, which should play out well for next year's budget. Should Mejia ultimately wind up released (the most likely outcome), it won't be too big of a deal.

SOTO SHIFTED TO SHORT

With Mejia's departure, Edmonton's highest-paid player will slot over to a premium position.

Luis Soto, in his second year with the team, is putting up numbers pretty consistent with his last three seasons. He's not great, but he's certainly dependable, and has given the Jackrabbits security up the middle that the franchise has sorely lacked throughout its history. Now, the versatile Soto will be asked to move over to the other side of second base, where he'll take up shortstop for what looks like the remainder of 2035.

Soto has always been asked to play more short throughout his career, and the numbers suggest he handles the position well. A +28.2 career Zone Rating at the position, combined with a strong arm and decent range, should make Soto a serviceable holdover until a more long-term solution lands somewhere in the organization.

RHODES RE-ENTERS BATTING RACE

With the Rabbits having slipped out of contention after a meandering start, and star player Bobby Lynch winding up on the disabled list for the remainder of the season, the primary storyline has become first baseman Dusty Rhodes and his quest for a fourth BBA batting title.

At 31 years of age, Rhodes has already played in over 1500 games at this level, missing only eight games (all of them last season) over his entire career. Over the course of that time, he's amassed 2028 hits. Rhodes hit .320 in his rookie season, winning his first title, then followed it up with a .356 mark during his sophomore campaign to bring home a second. After finishing below .300 for the first time in 2033 (a serious down year, featuring a .289 average and -0.4 WAR), Rhodes bounced back to win the title again last season, with a .375 mark -- his highest ever.

With the calendar narrowly bordering on July, Rhodes finds himself with 109 hits and a .352 batting average, which is good for second in the league. Rhodes is six points behind division rival Juan Karyabwite of Calgary, who paces the Frick with a .358 line.

"I get hits," said Rhodes. "That's what I do. I'd consider myself a professional hitter. Yeah, I'm a team player, but my goal every season is to win the batting title, because that helps the team."

This is Rhodes' first year in a three-year deal for the Jackrabbits, with an option for 2038.
BRANDON BROOKS

Edmonton Jackrabbits: 2032 -

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: Down the Rabbit Hole (35.15): Hit the Rhodes

Post by ae37jr » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Luis Soto is an under rated player. He's an above average bat who can play all 4 infield positions without embarrassing himself. I kinda wish he hadn't had that 4 WAR season in Brooklyn. I wanted to sign him long term but his demands shot up like crazy(as his current contract indicates).
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

7teen
BBA GM

Re: Down the Rabbit Hole (35.15): Hit the Rhodes

Post by 7teen » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:16 pm

I like me some Dusty Rhodes. Dude could have probably hit .375 in my new park. It just wasn’t in the cards for him to stay in Madison.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50