bpbrooksy
Ex-GM

Down the Rabbit Hole (35.13): The Force of May Be With You

Post by bpbrooksy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:23 pm

Image Edmonton Jackrabbits: 19-18, .514
3rd in the Frick Frontier
4.5 GB of the Seattle Storm
RABBITS ROLL ON INTO MAY

Just two weeks ago, Edmonton looked to be slipping back into irrelevance after a home sweep at the hands of Des Moines made the Jackrabbits 2-10 in their last twelve ballgames. But some sort fire was lit under the Bunnies, who immediately turned around to sweep Long Beach, and have gone 9-2 in their last eleven contests. At a game over .500, Edmonton is now tied with geographic rival Calgary for the third Wild Card in the Frick League.

"I was going to do it, but Chet beat me to the punch," said manager Ernie Lara after the team's second consecutive complete-game shutout. "It was right after the Kernels series. I came downstairs before the next game to call a meeting but there was Chet, standing in the middle of the locker room, getting the guys fired up. And I sort of just hung back and wound up not saying anything. Sometimes being the leader in the clubhouse means knowing when to let somebody else pick up the reigns for a minute."

"Most of what I said was, 'we can prove them wrong'," explained Chet Parrish (2 - 2, 4.30 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, 31 K), the 21-year-old pitching phenom and Michigan native. "We hadn't even played 30 games and everybody was ready to write us off again. This is a different squad. There's a different energy when we get here every day. We want to win."

After four straight series victories, including a home sweep against Long Beach and another potential sweep against the Spuds, the Jackrabbits find themselves 9th in the league-wide Power Rankings, a virtually-unheard of position for a franchise that has never won more than 70 games in a season.

SUZUKI, PARRISH FIRE DUELING SHUTOUTS

The Boise Spuds are a brand-new team, but a well-managed one that's kept their heads above water so far in 2035. The Spuds were 17-18 heading into a three-game series at Ducey -- and then they ran headlong into Taisuke Suzuki (4 - 1, 2.60 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, 27 K) and Chet Parrish (2 - 2, 4.30 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, 31 K).

On Friday night, a pair of runs batted in each from Declan Crauen (.395/.429/.693, 7 HR, 27 RBI) and Eric Fabre (.286/.331/.438, 4 HR, 17 RBI) paved the way for Suzuki to get the win in a 4-0 shutout. Suzuki's record moved to 4-1 on the year, and his ERA dropped all the way to 2.60. The Spuds managed eight hits, but couldn't scratch across a run. This has easily been Suzuki's best season at the BBA level so far, as the 28-year-old is enjoying career highs in ERA, WHIP, and HR/9, posting his first above-average ERA+ (167.)

Then Chet Parrish (2 - 2, 4.30 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, 31 K) said, "I'll do you one better." The very next day, Parrish limited Boise to just two hits, striking out eleven Spuds, in a shutout victory of his own. In his second season with Edmonton, Parrish is expected to become a top-of-the-rotation anchor alongside Bobby Lynch (4 - 1, 3.60 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 41 K). He's got plenty of time to do so; Parrish is just 21 years old and is already a favorite around the clubhouse.

The shutouts brought the rotation's ERA down to 3.88, which is third in the Frick.
BRANDON BROOKS

Edmonton Jackrabbits: 2032 -

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Re: Down the Rabbit Hole (35.12): The Force of May Be With Y

Post by scottsdale_joe » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:21 pm

Love the Banner.
Nice writing.
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

bpbrooksy
Ex-GM

Post by bpbrooksy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:24 pm

scottsdale_joe wrote:Love the Banner.
Nice writing.
Cheers!
BRANDON BROOKS

Edmonton Jackrabbits: 2032 -

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:37 pm

Fabre looks like he's going to be solid for you. All the pundits focus on Jose Gonzalez in that Lopez deal...Gonzo had the misfortune of lumping right away for you, which does suck...but regardless, I think Fabre was the missing piece for you in that deal. Solid hitter, good defender.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”