48.07: Three-Time Brewster Championship Winning Manager Unceremoniously Dumped in Dugout Shakeup

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

tylertoo
Ex-GM

48.07: Three-Time Brewster Championship Winning Manager Unceremoniously Dumped in Dugout Shakeup

Post by tylertoo » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:55 am

Jackrabbits Shocker
Gonzales, Three-Time Brewster Championship Winning Manager,
Unceremoniously Dumped in Dugout Shakeup

Fans are mixed, some say 'it was time for a change'
Buddenberg, two-time champ with Louisville, takes the reigns

Image Buddenberg (left) doesn't look very excited to shake Dunn's hand
Edmonton -- May 27, 2048: The most successful manager in the history of the Edmonton Jackrabbits was shown the door today, as three-time champ, four-time manager of the year Juan Carlos Gonzales tendered his resignation in the wake of the team's tepid showing in April and May.

His sudden departure was anything but voluntary. Sources indicate Gonzales was forced to step down, with the Jackrabbits in sixth place in the Frontier Division, eight games under .500 and 11 games out of first. "This was not at all mutual," said the source. "The owner and GM both felt the team was stagnant, and it was time to shake things up. Juan Carlos was 'allowed' to resign in a face-saving measure."

Gonzales will remain with the organization, assuming the new position of Special Advisor to the Deputy Advisor to the Vice President for Ballpark Condiments. "Let's see if he cuts the mustard," quipped one team official who asked not to be named, and who clearly was not a Gonzales fan. "I'm sure it's a roll he relishes."

Edmonton GM Mike Dunn held a hastily-called news conference to announce that former Louisville manager Waldemar Buddenberg, who just over a year ago was himself fired by the Sluggers, has been chosen as the Jackrabbits new manager.

Image Adios, Juan Carlos
"We will always love and respect Juan Carlos," said Dunn. "But we felt the atmosphere both on the field and in the clubhouse was not conducive to winning. And as much as we like to be loyal to our employees, the ultimate goal is to win."

Dunn continued: "We are very fortunate that an equally successful manager in the person of Waldy Buddenberg was available. He and I spent a lot of time over the past two weeks talking baseball and life. And I came away absolutely certain that Waldy is the right man to manage this club going forward."

Gonzales leaves a lasting legacy: he won the Brewster Championship three times-- in 2038, his first year as manager, then again in '41 and '45. His teams made the playoffs for eight straight seasons and nine of the past ten seasons. He was voted Manager of Year four times, in '38, '41, '42 and '45. Gonzales himself did not respond to requests for comment.

Buddenberg, by contrast, won the league title "only" twice, in '42 and '43, with six playoff appearances over seven years. He was voted Manager of the year in '42. Buddenberg told reporters, "I'm honored to follow in the footsteps of a sure-to-be Hall of Fame manager, my good friend Juan Carlos Gonzales, and I look forward to the challenge of matching his phenomenal success."

Fans are clearly mixed on the move, with some saying it was indeed time for Gonzales to go. Others, though, blame Dunn for the slow start, since the GM allowed three big stars -- the cornerstone of the team's offense -- to leave in free agency in the off season. Their replacements have not fared very well. "Dunn is the one who should have been booted as far as I'm concerned," snapped one season ticket holder on Twitter. "Who does he think he is? (Former GM) Chris Robillard?" said another. "I've met Chris Robillard. Chris Robillard is a friend of mine. And let me tell you, Dunn, you're no Chris Robillard."

Gonzales had a 958-715 record with Edmonton (.573%)
Image Buddenberg had a 673-461 record with Louisville (.593%)
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Re: 48.07: Three-Time Brewster Championship Winning Manager Unceremoniously Dumped in Dugout Shakeup

Post by CTBrewCrew » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:50 pm

BC “slider” with the dig…😮

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”