Riddler on the Couch; 2028, V10

News/features on the European Baseball Alliance.
Bumstead
Ex-GM

Riddler on the Couch; 2028, V10

Post by Bumstead » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:47 am

Madrid's team Psychologist walks into Dug Riddler's office unannounced.

Psycho: Hey Dug, I'm Eugene Organ. Most people just call me Eug!
Dug: Eug Organ? Are you serious? Who are you?
Eug: Of course I'm serious Dug. I'm the team Psychologist.
Dug: Ok?
Eug: You know that little "predictive index" that the owner asked you to take last week? You know, the one where you checked the words that applied to you?
Dug: Yeah...what about it?
Eug: Well, Dug, that is a test that helps us understand how you, how do I say it, function or interact or how you're wired as a person.
Dug: And why is this important? I'm trying to run a damn baseball team and I spend most of my time answering stupid questions about my name and how many cows I sleep with in a day and now I am wasting my time on some HR bullshit. Did we have an appointment?
Eug: Not in your calendar, no.
Dug: Well then, Eug Organ, that's the only calendar that matters at the moment. Go find someone else to sell your feel-good BS to. I (faking perusing through all his appointments in his calendar) obviously have a meeting that I'm already late to.
Eug: No you don't. According to the owner of the team, this is the only appointment you have that matters at the moment. And, just hear what I have to say and I think you will find this all a bit enlightening in how it explains some actions and perceptions regarding your few months here in Madrid.
Dug: Fine. Get on with it.
Eug: Ok. So basically what the test measures is your A: Dominance - Need to exert one's influence on things or events; B: Extraversion - need for social interaction with other people; C: Patience - need for consistency & stability; and D: Formality - the need for correctness.
Dug: That is exciting there Eug. How does that help me.
Eug: Where do you think you might fall?
Dug: I don't know, I don't even know why we are doing this...
Eug: I think the owner wants to know if he hired a kook; and, he wants to know if you are mentally unstable or if there is some reason for all this chaos that seems to follow you around. I would guess he wants to figure out if having you around is worth all this drama, that seems to follow you everywhere you go.
Dug: Oh...well, there's that I guess...shit...So, he's firing me already?
Eug: I didn't say that. And I think after he sees your results he may have a different viewpoint.
Dug: Really? Carry on then I guess.
Eug: Thanks...Let me tell you how you rated. Actually here are your results.
Dug: It's just a friggin' graph with letters and lines on it...
Eug: Oh boy...Yes...look here: You are a High A, which seems obvious, and a High D, which also should have been obvious. In turn you are a Low B & C.
Dug: Well, that solves that. So now you are leaving?
Eug: No, Dug. Let's talk about what that means. By knowing, you can take steps to try and relate to other people better knowing how you react to things and how others may react to your reactions.
Dug: Oh my god...it's like one of those all day HR feel good days...this sucks.
Eug: Moving on.

High A - Self Confidence comes internally. This person doesn't need someone to boost up his confidence. What motivates a High A? Independence, Freedom, Challenges, and Control. High A's like to take things apart (either mentally or physically) so that they can understand them and then they can fix them THEIR WAY. They tend to be self-starters and are generally focused on the End Result. A High A is also very comfortable with conflict; High A's are very assertive and opinionated generally. High A's will generally ask questions until they fully understand something or why something is not going the way they expect.

High D - High D's have a need to make everything perfect. What motivates a High D? Timely Feedback, Clear Expectations and Fairness. Their focus is generally in the Details and the Execution. High D's do not take well to things they think are not fair. When a High D makes a mistake they tend to be very hard on themselves. High D's also will search out clear expectations and will act on those expectations.

Let's go to your Low areas.

Dug: This is exhausting, but I do see myself in those 2 areas quite clearly.

Eug: Good

Low B's - tend to be task-oriented, matter of fact, analytical and pensive. They need time to trust others.

Low C's - like variety and mobility. Low C's become more productive as the stress level or pressure increases. They also have a tendency to get bored with their current task(s) and then end up take on too many tasks at one time. Low C's tend to be intense, restless, and impatient.

Eug: So, after hearing all of that, what do you think?
Dug: Seems to explain a lot really. There are so many times where I perceive something being unfair and I bring it up, not trying to be aggressive or anything, and it all gets blown up like some huge deal. And throughout that whole blow up, I'm not really that bothered by it at all. I have been telling people for years that as my stress level increases, I can flat out get some work done. I often find at the peak of my stress level here at work or at home, that I will jam in a lot of other interaction that most people would think I would not have time for. It's at those times, I think, when most of the "chaos," as you call it, occurs. The "chaos," along with what I think is humor, is often how I release my stress. I don't intend for it to be "chaos," but it often turns in that direction. I find myself weirdly entertained at times by all of it.

Eug: Well, Dug, I think that's enough for today. Please call me if you have further questions and I will set up another appointment where we talk further and even look at your employees results.
Dug: Shit yeah! I can't wait to see Mr. Palin's results; that guy's a freak!
Eug: eh...you might be surprised.

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: Riddler on the Couch; 2028, V10

Post by recte44 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:57 pm

At some point you'll write something remotely relavent to actual baseball. Yes? :)

Sent from my LGLS450 using Tapatalk

Bumstead
Ex-GM

Post by Bumstead » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:07 am

recte44 wrote:At some point you'll write something remotely relavent to actual baseball. Yes? :)

Sent from my LGLS450 using Tapatalk
Probably... :doh:

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:17 am

Baseball is life.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Bumstead
Ex-GM

Post by Bumstead » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:19 pm

Life and baseball go together like Sex and Candy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “EBA League News/Features”