Dee's Plea: Please Play For Me

News/features on the European Baseball Alliance.
Chey
Ex-GM

Post by Chey » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:04 pm

Following his dismissal from the Havana Sugar Kings, General Manager Adam Dee is among the European Baseball Alliance's most high-profile names. Having served for almost a decade in the Brewster, Dee has also spent time in the league's front office and on the airwaves as a broadcaster. Now focusing his efforts on the European circuit, the Canadian baseball executive spoke with Bernie Weaver of The Ringer about his new team, and the opportunities available for American born players.

----

So, you're in Belfast now. Do they even have baseball in Ireland?

Absolutely! Absolutely they do. And it's a high calibre game there, too. We're not talking about some indy league circuit in Alaska or something, this is the best baseball you'll ever see outside of the MBBA. Hell, better than some of the teams there, too.

Really?

Yes, really. The Alliance is solidly above the quality of baseball you might see in the Rupert Horn -- in AAA -- and I'd bet real money that the EBA champs could win a best-of-seven series against the Brewster's basement dwellers. That's actually something I pushed for when I was on the Governing Board, representing the Frick League. I think that would be a helluva spectacle.

So you're enjoying your time there, then? Do you see yourself in Belfast long-term?

I'm definitely enjoying myself. Like I said, the baseball is real and beyond that, Belfast is a great little city. Honestly, I couldn't ask for anything more in life than running a baseball team -- to be able to do that in a place like Belfast is a dream come true. Now, would I like to be back in the MBBA someday? Of course, of course I would. Am I desperate to get out of Europe, though? No.

Interesting. What's your team looking like this year? I understand the Northstars had a rough season in 2027.

Yeah, it was rough. It all comes down to that loser mentality I've really tried to avoid all throughout my career -- previous management convinced themselves that the only way to win in the future was to lose in the present. And so they just didn't do what they needed to do, for the team or the fans. And ownership saw things my way I guess, because they hired me to turn things around.

We have some great pieces -- a few guys I know really well, from the Sugar Kings farm system, like [Joe] Castle at first base, and Fingers behind the plate, those are guys I can really do something with. The team isn't without promise, but there's a lot of work to be done.

So how does an EBA team get players? Are American players willing to cross the pond?

That's the thing Bernie, not enough of them are. Some of them are, but not enough. If there are any players reading this, please, consider the EBA. It's a great league, the fans are great, and the baseball is great.

Then what's stopping players from making the jump? Who should be considering the EBA?

I think too many players who are sort of on that fringe, journeyman AAA guys who are approaching thirty but still think they might get a call-up from the big club, so they can't risk leaving the organization, but come on. Those guys haven't given you a shot in five years, they're not going to all of a sudden do it now. Come try the EBA on for size. That AAA job will always be waiting for you, trust me, I've been there. But this is an opportunity to travel, to stretch yourself, and to get noticed.

When you're playing in Buttfuck Nowhere for some MBBA team's farm system, only that one MBBA team is going to be looking at you, and guess what: they made their decision in April, when they left you in Buttfuck Nowhere. You come to Europe, you excel here against stronger competition, people in baseball - both in Europe and America - are going to take notice. Trust me.

Plus, the money's better than whatever Buttfuck Nowhere is paying you to ride the bus, I promise you that.
Adam Dyck
Cairo Chariot Archers Baseball Club, General Manager 2043-Present

Edmonton Jackrabbits, General Manager 2029
Belfast North Stars, General Manager 2028
Havana Sugar Kings, General Manager 2022-2027

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: Dee's Plea: Please Play For Me

Post by ae37jr » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:37 pm

That is by far the hardest part about the EBA. My secret was to filter players by games played(International Level Only). Players who at one time played either minor or major league ball in the EBA are 90% more likely to return then acquiring random MBBA castoffs. Though I have to admit there was a point where I checked off every single worth while free agent and offered them minor league contracts.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:45 pm

I would also filter to find guys that did not play at all in the previous year. If they were former MBBA guys they were more likely to jump to EBA after a year of unemployment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:39 pm

Yep, it is tough to find anyone really... But that is part of the challenge. Wishing you well!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:07 pm

I would find sort by salary demand and offer lowball (like 100K/year) offers to everyone that wants at or below MBBA league minimum (500K). Those are the guys most likely to sit in FA forever so at a certain point they'll probably capitulate and accept.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:09 pm

IS there any way to adjust the willingness of guys to play in the EBA? Right now we have guys sitting out entire years rather than play in Europe. Seems wrong
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:11 pm

It's probably dictated by the league reputation setting, so I think yes. It'll always be lower than the MBBA though so it'll probably be difficult regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:00 pm

Lane wrote:It's probably dictated by the league reputation setting, so I think yes. It'll always be lower than the MBBA though so it'll probably be difficult regardless.
Right, guys would rather hold out hope that they can latch on to a minor league deal, earn a spot on the 40-man, and make more than 95% of the EBAers on MBBA base salary.

Chey wrote:[The Alliance is solidly above the quality of baseball you might see in the Rupert Horn -- in AAA -- and I'd bet real money that the EBA champs could win a best-of-seven series against the Brewster's basement dwellers.
I still subscribe to a team of EBA all-stars competing with the MBBA's worst, but Amsterdam itself would lose 9 out of 10 series against even Jacksonville.
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:01 pm

It's league reputation is as high as I can set it without us losing lots of our players to the EBA.

Working as intended.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “EBA League News/Features”