2026 MBWBA Rule 6 Draft Preview

News/features on the European Baseball Alliance.
udlb58
Ex-GM

2026 MBWBA Rule 6 Draft Preview

Post by udlb58 » Mon May 23, 2016 3:36 pm

There is no getting around the fact that 2026 is a down year for the Rule 6 Draft. There aren't any big difference makers available this year, but there are a number of guys that could fill out MBBA rosters for the right price. Here's a look at six players who I believe could make a difference in the States.

#1 - OF Marceau Dubois, Amsterdam: The Frenchman was the 2025 EBA MVP and was one of the top offensive players from 2024-25, but a step back in production has to worry any potential suitors. Well, that and the way Victor Talboom has had his share of troubles hitting MBBA pitching. Dubois is basically a more patient version of Talboom, which isn't the highest praise. Might be able to hit .220/.340/.430 in a good year. If you play him in a corner OF spot and get him for a reasonable price, he could be a respectable starter for an MBBA club.

#2 - SP Arend Glas, London: A righty with a solid fastball, an excellent changeup, and a mediocre slider. He won't wow you, but could be a solid back end starter and would be a positive clubhouse presence. He could also be a very good reliever, with that fastball/curve combo, if moved to the bullpen. Again, he is a good signing if you can get him for a #4/middle relief price.

#3 - 3B Manny Silva, Amsterdam: Plus-plus arm, plus defense, 25 HR power, .260 hitting ability. Silva would be better than a handful of guys who are currently full-time starters at 3B and would be an excellent backup/platoon player.

#4 - P Alfredo Martínez, Paris: The 26 year old pitcher turned heads last year when he struck out 20 against Brussels. He has had his share of struggles, but can simply dominate a hitter from time to time. If he finds a home in the right ballpark, he could be a very good reliever.

#5 - RF Raffaello Altabani, Paris: He was passed over a year ago, and then went on to have a phenomenal 2026 season. Maybe he is just one of those guys who fits perfectly for the EBA and will never be a viable option in the MBBA, but it is hard to overlook one of the top EBA hitters this year and in the 2nd half of 2025. The biggest knocks are his swing and miss rates and his low work ethic. He is a solid defender with 20-25 HR power and a solid eye. Would probably be best served in a reserve/platoon role, but would be a good option if you can get him for a good price.

#6 - P Bob Latrobe, Amsterdam: The 37 year old lefty would not be your typical Rule 6 pick, that's for sure. Latrobe was banished to Europe back in 2020 and has consistently been one of the top 10 pitchers in the EBA each of his 5+ seasons. His skills haven't diminished one bit since his 17-9, 3.59 ERA season back in 2018 and I think he could fit right in as a #5 starter or lefty reliever. Again, age is a big concern, so you'd be looking at a low salary and limited number of years.
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: 2026 MBWBA Rule 6 Draft Preview

Post by trmmilwwi » Mon May 23, 2016 3:52 pm

Nice article.... Latrobe, ha! That dude's still playing?!!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Mon May 23, 2016 4:14 pm

trmmilwwi wrote:Nice article.... Latrobe, ha! That dude's still playing?!!
Hell yeah! That guy just keeps on ticking. Loved him in AMS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Lane

Post by Lane » Mon May 23, 2016 4:19 pm

I like the write-up, thanks. Definitely looks like a weak class.

Stephen Lane
Since 2026

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Mon May 23, 2016 7:13 pm

Silva and Glas are the only 2 sure fire picks IMO. Neither will be a star in the MBBA, though neither should be a bust. Silva, besides having a borderline starter scouting report, is just 24 and has nearly a perfect personality report. Just about any team in the league should see him a an asset at the right price. Glas should only be viewed as a bullpen option/emergency starter.

Since we're only allowed to make one pick, I'll throw out one of my sleeper picks. Brieuc Becker is a 28 year old super sub type. He is rated 9 or better at 4 positions and should easily pick up RF and/or 1B with spring training reps. His lack of power and eye will turn off a lot of OPS guys. But his contact should play enough to be a useful 27th man on the roster.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:20 pm

ae37jr wrote:Silva and Glas are the only 2 sure fire picks IMO. Neither will be a star in the MBBA, though neither should be a bust. Silva, besides having a borderline starter scouting report, is just 24 and has nearly a perfect personality report. Just about any team in the league should see him a an asset at the right price. Glas should only be viewed as a bullpen option/emergency starter.

Since we're only allowed to make one pick, I'll throw out one of my sleeper picks. Brieuc Becker is a 28 year old super sub type. He is rated 9 or better at 4 positions and should easily pick up RF and/or 1B with spring training reps. His lack of power and eye will turn off a lot of OPS guys. But his contact should play enough to be a useful 27th man on the roster.
That's a pretty good one there. Becker isn't great, but definitely an option for a team that has a crappy middle infield. I think Dubois has value over the other low contact, high power guys that have been taken in recent years thanks to his eye and position flexibility. That's a damn good defensive corner OF, a guy that can get you out of a game or a SIM as a center fielder, and someone who could become a very good defensive 1B too if needed.

Lane

Post by Lane » Tue May 24, 2016 11:11 am

ae37jr wrote:Silva and Glas are the only 2 sure fire picks IMO. Neither will be a star in the MBBA, though neither should be a bust. Silva, besides having a borderline starter scouting report, is just 24 and has nearly a perfect personality report. Just about any team in the league should see him a an asset at the right price. Glas should only be viewed as a bullpen option/emergency starter.

Daaaaang that defense is nice

Stephen Lane
Since 2026

Chey
Ex-GM

Post by Chey » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:57 am

I was a little surprised at the lack of love for Altabani. Sure he's not a star, but a switch-hitting power guy with reasonably strong D in both corner outfield spots? Surely he's more than a borderline pick.
Adam Dyck
Cairo Chariot Archers Baseball Club, General Manager 2043-Present

Edmonton Jackrabbits, General Manager 2029
Belfast North Stars, General Manager 2028
Havana Sugar Kings, General Manager 2022-2027

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:15 pm

You can't just call him a 'switch-hitting power guy' without at least mentioning his splits. Also, I'm no lover of the AVK rating, but when a guy has that low of a CON+AVK (9) I've seen enough evidence that he'll probably struggle to hit above the Mendoza line as an - ostensibly - RHB.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:15 pm

agrudez wrote:You can't just call him a 'switch-hitting power guy' without at least mentioning his splits. Also, I'm no lover of the AVK rating, but when a guy has that low of a CON+AVK (9) I've seen enough evidence that he'll probably struggle to hit above the Mendoza line as an - ostensibly - RHB.
Yeah, I loved Altabani as an EBA player and might have considered taking him to by my platoon with Oh if his AvoidK were a point or two higher against LHP.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:16 pm

It's interesting that Altabani's BABIP has been relatively high vs. league average, though.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:21 pm

RonCo wrote:It's interesting that Altabani's BABIP has been relatively high vs. league average, though.
That actually makes sense to me when you look at his average. He has to have an abnormally high BABIP to hit .300 and strikeout 140 times

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:49 pm

RonCo wrote:It's interesting that Altabani's BABIP has been relatively high vs. league average, though.
There is an internal BABIP rating hidden in the player editor unless you have commish access that has an inverse relationship with AVK relative to your CON (the combination of the two actually calculates your CON... which makes really little sense to me why they even show CON instead of just showing both components of it - particularly since they already show one). So, if a player has an 8 CON and 4 AVK, he will have an internal BABIP well north of .300 to compensate. If he has a 4 CON and 8 AVK, vice versa. I've never done a study to correlate internal BABIP to actual statistical BABIP, but I presume the logic conforms in such a way to correlate the two.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:00 pm

I am quite aware of the internal workings of the babip rating. [WINKING FACE]
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:48 pm

agrudez wrote:
There is an internal BABIP rating hidden in the player editor unless you have commish access that has an inverse relationship with AVK relative to your CON (the combination of the two actually calculates your CON... which makes really little sense to me why they even show CON instead of just showing both components of it - particularly since they already show one). So, if a player has an 8 CON and 4 AVK, he will have an internal BABIP well north of .300 to compensate. If he has a 4 CON and 8 AVK, vice versa. I've never done a study to correlate internal BABIP to actual statistical BABIP, but I presume the logic conforms in such a way to correlate the two.

Markus shows CON because back when we changed the algorithm from the old V5 HITS/DOUBLES/HR/BB/K model to the one we have now, he wanted to keep showing a rating that indicated batting average. So we cobbled together an algorithm that did that, and now he uses it. It's more complex than just AVK and the hidden BABIP. There are more ratings involved, which is what makes me scratch my head on Altabani's performance. Purely scanning the ratings, I would expect his internal BABIP rating is on the low side. Yet his BABIP performance is above average.

So, either I'm a little skewed in my read (which happens) or the EBA's league-wide BABIP rating is quite low (which is probably true, too).
Roster

Chey
Ex-GM

Post by Chey » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:47 pm

Without doing any research or thinking about it for more than a minute, I'd wager that the drop in offence from MBBA to EBA is drastically more than the drop in fielding ability, which would suggest lower BABIPs in the EBA.
Adam Dyck
Cairo Chariot Archers Baseball Club, General Manager 2043-Present

Edmonton Jackrabbits, General Manager 2029
Belfast North Stars, General Manager 2028
Havana Sugar Kings, General Manager 2022-2027

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:11 pm

RonCo wrote:
agrudez wrote:

Markus shows CON because back when we changed the algorithm from the old V5 HITS/DOUBLES/HR/BB/K model to the one we have now, he wanted to keep showing a rating that indicated batting average. So we cobbled together an algorithm that did that, and now he uses it. It's more complex than just AVK and the hidden BABIP. There are more ratings involved, which is what makes me scratch my head on Altabani's performance. Purely scanning the ratings, I would expect his internal BABIP rating is on the low side. Yet his BABIP performance is above average.

So, either I'm a little skewed in my read (which happens) or the EBA's league-wide BABIP rating is quite low (which is probably true, too).
Right, power also influences contact (more HR = more balls hit that don't equal an out)

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:45 pm

So with high power, and low Avoid K (but not devastatingly low), I would expect a low Contact rating to indicate a poorish BABIP rating--certainly not any better than "average." But his performance suggests a better BABIP rating than the rest of those ratings do. And his performance is consistent. So, there's something going on down in the guts of the equivalencies that is making that performance what it is. ;)
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “EBA League News/Features”