The Center Prong #1 - Hippolyte Lecomte

News/features on the European Baseball Alliance.
Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

The Center Prong #1 - Hippolyte Lecomte

Post by Lane » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:22 pm

The Center Prong is an semi-regular player spotlight series presented by the management of the Amsterdam Neptunes. Please enjoy!

The first edition of The Center Prong focuses on Neptunes catcher Hippolyte Lecomte, proud owner of a 10 grade name and an 8 grade mustache. Though the name and mustache may be the most outstanding attributes that Lecomte possesses, let this not distract us from appreciating this veteran's career to date and his potential going forward.

Born 28 January, 1993, Hippolyte grew up in La Balme-de-Sillingy, which lies in the Haute-Savoy department of eastern France. Though he grew up in this small rural town, 9 year old Hippolyte could not help but be inspired by the arrival of the EBA in 2002. He was never the most gifted athlete but was always the hardest worker among his peers and even at a young age demonstrated leadership abilities. These are likely key attributes that led to his first round selection in the 2016 amateur draft by the Amsterdam Neptunes.

His 12th overall selection netted him a nifty $71,000 bonus and by the spring of 2017 he was rated as the #6 prospect in the EBA. Pressed into service with the big club in '17, Lecomte struggled in 45 games as the backup catcher. Again splitting time between AAA and Amsterdam, 2018 proved to be a breakout year for the then budding star. In 91 AAA games he posted a 158 OPS+, 168 wRC+ and backed this up with a 121/117 showing in 17 big league games. With OSA scouting him as a 5(5) / 6(7) / 5(6) he was traded to the Belfast Northstars in what appears to be a perplexing trade from the Amsterdam side. The Neptunes received 1B Rich Weems and LF Miguel Carrion who were both released within 18 months after producing a total of -0.1 WAR for Amsterdam.

Meanwhile in Belfast, it took Hippolyte only 67 games as a backup catcher in 2019 to product 0.2 WAR. The 2020 season saw an increased though still part-time role for the superb defender as he posted a .298/.332/.440 line good for 1.6 WAR in only 225 AB over 110 games. In 2021 Lecomte was given his first shot at a full time role in Belfast, but unfortunately performed below everyone's expectations and posted only 0.6 WAR in 456 ABs. Coincidence or not, this was the first season since 2015 that Belfast failed to make the playoffs. While a lesser man might have let this disappointment end his career, Hippolyte remained steadfast in his determination to be a solid contributor to the Northstars roster. The Belfast management saw this determination and Hippolyte was signed to 3 consecutive one year deals covering the 2022-2024 seasons. Strictly a backup for those three seasons, Lecomte was nevertheless very valuable in producing 3.5 war in only 183 games. It should surprise no one that the Northstars were a playoff team for those three seasons, with their backup catcher's leadership surely a significant contributor.

So about now, you may be asking "Why is Amsterdam writing this article?" Well, the answer is simple; everyone loves a good homecoming story. In the 2024-2025 offseason, the interim management of the Amsterdam Neptunes recognized an opportunity to reunite with an old friend and did not pass on it. Needing a starting catcher, Hippolyte signed on for 1 year/$500,000 in December and subsequently signed a 1 year extension worth $460,000. Asked how it felt to rejoin the Neptunes, Hippolyte had this to say: "It feels great...I feel reinvigorated and arrived to spring training in the Best Shape Of My Life. Not very often does a person get to rejoin the franchise that drafted them after so much time away. I feel like I still have a lot left in the tank and I'm excited about the next two seasons in Amsterdam." New GM Stephen Lane said that he felt thankful that Interim GM Recte brought Lecomte back, even if it was just because he liked the guys name.

In contrast to his last chance at an every day job, Hippolyte is off to a strong start in 2025. Posting a .232/.307/.485 line, he won't be winning a batting title but has already contributed 0.9 WAR in only 28 games. The Neptunes and their fans hope that this strong start continues throughout the season, and in combination with his leadership skills, hopes for a playoff appearance are high. Currently rated 5/7/7/6/5 with 8 defense and 9 arm, the 6'2'' 225lb catcher shows no signs of slowing down at age 32. Keep an eye on Mr. Lecomte this season in Amsterdam, as his career is still alive and well.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Lane

Re: The Center Prong #1 - Hippolyte Lecomte

Post by Lane » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Note for mods-there's no "Player Spotlight" subtopic under EBA Features as there is for MBBA. If you prefer to have EBA spotlights somewhere besides the EBA Team News section, please feel free to move. Otherwise I hope you enjoy, and I welcome feedback on this and my other articles. Thanks!
Stephen Lane
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:13 pm

You focused on his amazing name and his sweet moustache. I like you already.
GM Vancouver Mounties

felipe
Ex-GM

Post by felipe » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:25 pm

Attaboy! Trader Lane!

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Post by scottsdale_joe » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:28 am

Well done.
Love it.
And keep tweeting :)
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

Lane

Post by Lane » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:32 am

scottsdale_joe wrote:Well done.
Love it.
And keep tweeting :)
Thanks! I certainly will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stephen Lane