25.2 Matador Headline News - Checking the Locks: Catcher

News/features on the European Baseball Alliance.
crobillard
Ex-GM

25.2 Matador Headline News - Checking the Locks: Catcher

Post by crobillard » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:16 pm

At the beginning of each season I review the players that may make the team on Opening Day. This is the first of a nine part series that will "check the locks" on each position; which players are locked into a starting or backup role for the team this season and which players are competing for a role.

Sure-fire locks: Abramo Ghezzi, Aaron Ross
Trying to get in the door: Charles Faes

Analysis: A difficult decision is sure to come regarding Faes. Do the Matadors keep a third catcher on the roster or not? Ghezzi was the starter at catcher for the Matadors last season and his performance was mostly underwhelming pushing into the serviceable category. A .269/.308/.360 is nothing to wow at and neither are his 16 doubles, one triple or 10 homeruns. He was defensively solid as well. The mediocrity of Ghezzi is very likely the reason the Matadors brought in 35 year old Aaron Ross. He has played for four teams in his EBA tenure and typically has a high batting average. However, over the last few seasons he has not been utilized in a full time capacity despite his .314/.434/.775 career batting line and outstanding nine rated defense. If Ghezzi faulters, Ross may be given the opportunity to start full time again.

So, where does Faes come in? Well, his defense is very good at 8, but his value is primarily in a power bat off the bench and he is better than both of the other two at hitting LHP with 5/6/8/6/4 ratings. He started for Rome full time previously and was decent before last season usually dropping about 25 homeruns a season.

Edit: for links

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: 25.2 Matador Headline News - Checking the Locks: Catcher

Post by trmmilwwi » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Love these look ins.. Looking forward to the rest!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

crobillard
Ex-GM

Re: 25.2 Matador Headline News - Checking the Locks: Catcher

Post by crobillard » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:58 am

trmmilwwi wrote:Love these look ins.. Looking forward to the rest!
Thanks bud. With the football games on today my time will be limited for writing but I'll be writing when I can as I'd like to get them posted today. The Checking the Locks series is one of my favorites to write though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “EBA League News/Features”