Buffalo Bison Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
felipe
Ex-GM

Buffalo Bison Preview

Post by felipe » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:31 pm

Any team that can give the world (Louisville) such stars as Orlando Mercado is richly deserving of a team preview.

Buffalo enters the 2013 season with the distinct disadvantage of playing in the same division as FL powerhouses Atlantic City and Montreal; that said they have built a team full of young emerging talent with some elite bats and some...arms.

Catcher

ImageImage

Chiefly young star Ernest Watts, but he is capably platooned by emerging star Ricardo Rios. The pair delivers glittering defence along with two devastating bats. It is the testament to the overall strength of the MBBA's backstops that Watts has yet to become a household name despite his two awe inspiring debut seasons. The twenty-four year-old can straight out mash; 30 HR 105 RBI .890 OPS.

First base

Chunky monkey...err...Tree trunks, Rusty Johnson...wait...let's stop right there for a minute...his given name is Rusty Johnson?? And they nicknamed him tree trunks? Really?? Anyways whatever his name, he's a monster at the dish, clubbing 48 round-trippers for a .550 SLG. Exactly the production that you want from an elite first baseman.

Second Base

ImageImage

If I'm to go by the preseason roster, it looks like its a straight out battle for the starters position between incumbent Lawrence Donahue, and inspired free-agent minor league signing Donald Perry. I'll be honest, I don't see a great deal of difference between the two; their both serviceable big league keystoners. I'll venture that it doesn't matter who wins the job; but I guess time will tell.

Third base

ImageImage

In situations like this, you almost feel bad for the veteran. Pedro Monsalve looks set to debut this season as Gerald Mason's hip strain makes this pre-season job competition null and void. Not like he ever really had a chance. Monsalve would look like an early favourite for rookie of the year, despite his poor AAA stats. The kid has future star written all over him. Mason has always worn 'placeholder' on the back of his jersey throughout his entire career.

Shortstop

ImageImage

Utility infielder, Nolan Jackson, has worn the mantle of Buffalo's shortstop for the past four seasons and he's not been horrible. I'm unsure as to why Michael House enjoyed so many at-bats last year as a backup at second and short. I guess it was Donahue's injury. There's little fear of him seeing so many plate appearances this season. Which is good news for the Bison faithful.

Leftfield

this kid hit 61 doubles last season...as a rookie. That's the fourteenth highest total ever, and the highest total ever for a left-fielder. And he's only 24. Domingo Fierro is not a bad ballplayer. Oh yeah, he picked up a gold glove and the rookie of the year too.

Centerfield

This kid is no Fierro. But Jimmie Starks may be the next best thing. He's twenty-two freaking years old and he's already played a full season in the MBBA. He's only gonna get better at the plate and in the field. Its nice that he plays for Buffalo, because the pitchers give him lots of practice catching fly-balls. Good for his development.

Right field

I didn't know the Irish played baseball either. Carlin Adie is a straight out star. The only thing negative that I can think of is that he was putrid in the field last season, which sometimes precedes a loss of ratings. But he'd have to get awful bad awful fast to not still be an absolute stud.

Designated hitter

ImageImage

I'm gonna assume that the Dude, (part deux), Jeff ''Dude Part Deux'' Wachowski, Jr. is gonna be the designated hitter. I'd be more excited if it wasn't for all the quality all around him in this devastating lineup. He should be perfectly adequate for the Bison. I'm also going to assume that fourth outfielder, Joker Avila, will get some at-bats too. He's too young and too gifted to rot on the bench.

Ace

I guess its going to be Old Man Reece, which is more than just a little disconcerting.

Catfish Hayes; Any club would be proud to trot out Catfish as their fifth starter.

Ramon Cabrera may end up having the best numbers on the staff, as a rookie. He certainly did well in AAA last year; and he's got four good pitches. Going past the sixth inning may be a stretch for him though.

Flavour Flav also had a good season in AAA in 2012. He may do quite well. It will be very interesting to see how he fares.

ImageImageImageImage

Somebody has to pitch every fifth day...unfortunately. Maybe I'm being unkind, and maybe I overlooked someone, but the group of Theron Ratzlaff, Bob Ayers, Buford Kessinger, or Kim Rodas is incredibly depressing. Then again, there's something to be said for grabbing a bunch of pitchers throwing them out there and seeing who sticks. But its not said in polite company.

The bullpen

Its not bad; its just as mediocre as Louisville's.Steve Roberge,Larry Davis, Denzel Harvey, Steve Camcho, Bill Morgan should be adequate.

Wow! What a bipolar team. If nothing else, Bison games will be high scoring and entertaining. Awesome offence, depressing defence. Oh the dizzying highs! No lead will ever be safe for either team in a Bison contest. Their offence should be electrifying, and their team defence should be improved.
I think they'll be better this season, but they are in such a tough division. And pitching wins games. And their good pitchers are really young and need experience.

Lets go 76-86 on the back of that tremendous offence.

mrbornac
Ex-GM

Re: Buffalo Bison Preview

Post by mrbornac » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:29 pm

You hit a lot of things very closly to the way I would describe them. Mason was destined to spend the season backing up Pedro, but now the question has been answered before we could even ask it, with Mason being out for so long. The Joker and the Dude are the biggest question on the offense this season for me.

Pitching is a waiting game for a few guys to mature, and until then, we will score some runs and give up more.
General Manager
Buffalo Bison : 2002 - ?
Record 1,496 - 1,582 .486 (The wheels came off)
Twitter: @mbba_Bison

2017 Landis Memorial Champions
2017 Frick League Champion
2017, 2016, 2007, 2004 FLA Winner
2014, 2017 Frick League Wild Card Winner

njherdfan
Ex-GM

Post by njherdfan » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:33 pm

Nice writeup. This is a really promising lineup. It will be interesting to see how the pitching performs this year, because I would put this lineup against just about anyone's.
General Manager

Seattle Storm: 2011-Present

1737-1391 through 2029

Frick League, Pacific Division Winner (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2024)
Frick League Champion (2013)

Cliche
Ex-GM

Post by Cliche » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:14 pm

I appreciate being called a powerhouse! :hi5:

Definitely seems to be a good scoring offense with some pitching concerns.

Get those crooked scoreboard numbers ready!
Phoenix Talons, 1987-1994 (614-682, .474). 1993 JL Wildcard Winner.
Atlantic City Gamblers, 2010-2030. 2022 MBWBA Champions. '10, '15, '22, '23, '25, '28 FLA Champions. 2010, 2024 FL Cartwright Cup Winners.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”