2010 Seattle Storm

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
Al-Hoot

2010 Seattle Storm

Post by Al-Hoot » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:27 pm

SEATTLE scored 880 runs in 2009, bested by only a handful of teams. Four of its top run producers are no longer in the organization--indicating a shift in philosophy.

The Storm staff gave up 1055 runs in 2009.

Key subtractions:
C Ron Lipp (trade, CHI)(.328-25-107)
1b Michael Kern (FA, HAW)(.245-22-96)
dh Bill Fairn (FA, unsigned)(.304-20-86)
OF Will Simmons (trade, OMA)(.406 OBP, 112 runs scored)

In addition the team did not re-sign RP Jose Mijangos, whose 50 games ranked 4th on the staff. His 5.06 ERA was one run lower than the team average. Jose is now in Brussels.

Key Additions:
The Lipp trade brought C Manuel Román, a hot-shot hitter who is on the active roster as a third catcher, waiting for a chance to start; and SP Dennis Tolbert, RF Herman Milligan, and CL Kevin Moore, all assigned to AAA. Whether that was enough bounty for Lipp remains to be seen.

The Simmons deal brought SPs Gerardo Arroyo (AAA), Juan Gonzáles (RL), and 19-y.o OF Ken Stark (RL), and $4m.

SPs Tom Jimerson (who spent the last two years in Europe) and Lawrence Ryman, a six-year Belfast veteran chosen in the Rule 6 draft.

C Ralph Butt (.270-12-70 with BAL) was signed as a free agent.

So What's Seattle Done?

PITCHING

Jimerson and Ryman will join last year's ace Morgan Ackerman (13-8, 4.73), Cedric Ayers (3-15), and Matthew Krieger (11 starts, 5.44) and Clarence Murray (12 starts, 6.27), both acquired last July. Herbert Coolen, who started 93 games for the club from 2005-08 and missed all of last year, starts the year in the pen.

Gerrit Strijk (who has saved 71 games the past two seasons), Tomás Román (12 games played for this 2003, 37th overall pick), Coolen, and some hard workers from last year, including Sean Farrell (8-17, moved back to the pen, where he was nore effective in 08), Roberto Garza (82 games, 5.64), and be my Valentine Michael Smith (84 games, 6.28) will be the main relievers. Last year's Mike Elmore (43 games, 5.50) will mop up or fill in, as needed, as will Lloyd Reece (10.26 in 16 games).

:arrow: Pitching prospects, besides those mentioned, include a stellar cast: Johnson 'Train Big' Walter and Domingo 'Flex' Becerra, Grey 'End of the World' Street, Greg Downing, Félix Ramírez.

BATTING

:arrow: The un-traded 23-year-old SS Trey Williams (.339-11-87 with 53 doubles) returns as the team's offensive catalyst and most popular position player.

He is joined by

outfielders Austin Gibson (.339-15-84), impressive 21-y.o. Todd Clay (2006, 2nd rd), 24-y.o. Josh Tyler (.298-10-54 in 96 starts) and Esteban Díaz (.296);

and

infielders Shawn McClure (.265-15-59), Grant Hardin (.266-9-52), and Jason Sherman (.261-12-39) as well as newly-acquired catchers Butt (.270-12-70) and Román, and Sean Wilder, who spent last year at AAA.

25-y.o. Richard Rollins is set to DH, while 24-y.o. Phan Ta will provide refreshments.

Prospects include Dave May and Marty 'Snowball' Veeck.

Ackerman and Williams (who led the Storm in 14 batting categories in 09) stand out as the best pitcher and hitter. It's doubtful European imports Ryman and Jimerson will pitch well enough to overcome the loss in offensive oomph as the team rebuilds. But younger position players will play more often this year. And one of the best farm systems keeps improving. Seattle may have to go down before it goes up, and rebuilding in the FLP is a challenging but not unprecedented task. Second-year Seattle GM Manny Manuel has his work cut out for him.

Manny
Ex-GM

Re: 2010 Seattle Storm

Post by Manny » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:08 pm

A very nice write-up Al, thank you for being so kind as to not completely rip me apart ;)

I hope my young guys turn out as I've been trying to grab young players in hopes of a turnaround season. We'll see how my plan shapes out in the next few years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”