2008 Chicago Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
JohnC
Ex-GM

2008 Chicago Preview

Post by JohnC » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:08 pm

It has been 10 years since the Chicago Black Sox have finished above .500. Yes, 10 years. The have been consistent basement dwellers for years. Could new GM Keith Stuart be the one to lead this team out of the dark days?

Key Offseason Additions

IF John Wilkinson
OF Chris Neal
SP Joshua Noble

These are three players that should really make a difference to this lineup. Wilkinson is an excellent DF player who can provide some offense as well. He is a career .294 hitter who rarely get's hurt. In Chris Neal they also have another great DF player who will play CF for the Sox. Noble will anchor an otherwise young rotation.

Offense
Catcher - Veteran Robert Bloomquist will handle the bulk of the load behind the dish for the Sox. He put up some decent power numbers last year hitting 14HR's and adding 67RBI's. Jason Williams will serve as backup while prospect Manuel Roman looks to continue his development at AAA. Already capable with the bat, he must improve his skills behind the plate before he is ready to make the jump to the big leagues.

First Base - Orlando Chavez had a great rookie season last year hitting .313 with 21 big flies. He will most likely bat third in this order as he looks to improve his rookie numbers. While not a strong defender at first, it is possible that he could see some time at the DH position this year as well. The 2002 1st round pick really developed his power stroke last season. After hitting only 34HR's in 1800AB's in the minors, he hit 21 in 485AB's last year.. :headscratch:

Second Base - Look for veteran Robert Cullison to get the majority of the AB's from second base. He provides solid defense at second and is capable of contributing with the bat. Augustine Herrero could also see some playing time at second. The 36yr old veteran was claimed off waivers from Buffalo in 2007. While certainly not the fastest runner on the bases he should be good for 20+ doubles this season.

Shortstop - Duncan Harvey exploded last season hitting 32HR's. If he can provide that kind of production again from the shortstop position for the Sox then it would be a huge boost to the offense. While he won't make the spectacular plays, he is more then capable of making the routine plays. A steal in the 2nd round of the 2000 draft, Harvey played in all but 3 games for the Sox last season. Given their lack of depth, he will need to be just as durable this season.

Third Base - As mentioned above, John Wilkinson was brought in to add some stability to this team. His great leadership skills will be counted on to try and right the ship in Chicago. Acquired from Des Moines after last season, Wilkinson may actually be the slowest player in the league.

Outfield - Jose Lopez will be the starter in right field, and hit leadoff for the Sox. His speed makes him a candidate to hit leadoff, but his .312OBP last season would suggest that is not the best spot for him. Defensive whiz Chris Neal will cover center for the Sox. A gold glove winner last season in LF, if there is a ball hit in center there is a good chance that Neal will track it down. Jesus Cruz will pay out in left field. He is another one of these guys that seems to be developing later in his career. Hitting .329 last year, he also managed to hit 18HR's, and drive in 72. He will be counted on the provide some pop in the middle/back half of the lineup.

DH - It looks as though unproven Phil Owry will start the season as the DH. Sox's management is asking alot of this guy who has 7 career big league HR's to hit in the middle of this lineup. A 2005 1st round Supp pick, he has put up respectable number in the minors for the last couple of seasons. An outfielder by trade, the addition of the DH this year has no doubt helped him make this team as he is a below average defensive outfielder.

Pitching
Rotation - Veteran Joshua Noble was brought into be the number 1 guy. A bit of a gamble for the Sox to sign him to a 6 year, $96,000,000 deal after he posted a 4.68ERA last season in Hawaii. Youngster Tom Madonald looks to be an ace in the making. The former number 1 overall pick throws a heavy sinker with decent control and good stamina. Already seen as a team leader, he should be a solid number 2 guy this season. Yet another 1st round pick, Clarence Murray slides into the number 3 slot. He had a solid rookie season in 2005, but has seen his numbers decline in both seasons since. He will be counted on the rebound to numbers somewhere in between 2005 and 2006. Dave Corrigan, Juan Rivera, and Roy Nevel Jr. will compete for the 4th and 5th spot in the rotation. Both Rivera and Nevel Jr. are interesting options for the Sox. If Rivera could ever develop, and if recent number 1 pick Nevel Jr. is ready to pitch soon the the Sox could potentially have a very good rotation going forward.

Bullpen - A real weak spot for the Sox. When Rich "El Guapo" Garces is your closer.... :doh: :doh: The Sox may as well sign "EL Guapo's" Three Amigos sidekick Jefe to be the long man. The Sox should be looking to upgrade the pen this season. Gaspar Garcia, and Ernest Powell will handle the setup duties this year. If the Sox get off to a good start this year then adding some cheaper veteran arms to the pen should be a top priority.

Prediction - The Sox should be much better this season. They have added a couple of decent bats as well as a solid starter. If some of their younger player step up this year then they could have their 1st +.500 season in a decade. No doubt they are in tough with Madison and Phoenix, but a solid showing this season could a long way in the development of their many former 1st round picks.
Last edited by JohnC on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Montreal Blazers 2002 - present
Atlantic Div Champs '02,'05,'06,'11,'12,'13,'14,'19,'21,'27,'30'33
Wild Card '04,'10,'20,'28,'29,'31,'32,'34

John Callahan
GM: Montreal Blazers
Email: doghares@hotmail.com

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: 2008 Chicago Preview

Post by recte44 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Nevel Jr. wasn't from the EBA, he was a draft pick here.

JohnC
Ex-GM

Post by JohnC » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:17 pm

fixed.
Montreal Blazers 2002 - present
Atlantic Div Champs '02,'05,'06,'11,'12,'13,'14,'19,'21,'27,'30'33
Wild Card '04,'10,'20,'28,'29,'31,'32,'34

John Callahan
GM: Montreal Blazers
Email: doghares@hotmail.com

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:24 pm

Now that Nevel Jr. is healthy, will he jump straight from High School to the big leagues?

I'll tell you what, I don't see why not.

kestu
Ex-GM

Post by kestu » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:42 pm

Great write-up. I appreciate the time you put into this - I really enjoyed reading another's opinion.

In a surprise move - I'm going to go with Fernando Luna at 2B. Cullison must hate me, but I prefer Luna's defensive potential and having Luna along with Neal in CF is a huge upgrade over last year that should only help my young staff.

Rivera will be in the rotation all season - the only thing that will help him improve his control will be more innings, so he'll get that with us until I see a talent drop. His ceiling is too high to give up on him - or to not bit the bullet and continue throwing him out there every 5 days. He showed a lot of improvement last season so I'm hoping that continues.

Nevel Jr. is going to start the year in AAA - he just got healthy a week before opening day, so I'm going to give him a few starts in AAA to see how he does. Once he and Brooks are ready, I will probably move Corrigan/Murray to the pen - right now our bullpen might the worst one I've ever had in any OOTP league. Hopefully we can fix that through the draft, but short-term we will be looking for possibilities throughout the year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”