2059 Sharks of Sydney (GBC)

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
JRamirez
BBA GM

2059 Sharks of Sydney (GBC)

Post by JRamirez » Fri May 10, 2024 8:09 pm

The Amazing Sydney Sharks are, according to the game, 1743-1741 (.500287026406294...) in their 22-year existence. They've made the playoffs 6 times and won the championship 4 times, including a threepeat in '45, '46, '47. Last year they were 74-78, and this season they have a new GM in Jim Leyritz (forum name), otherwise known as Josh Brodsky, who is also not JoshD nor Joshua Biddle, nor for that matter anyone living in Australia.

We have it straight from the Shark's mouth that their Opening Day lineup vs division-rival (yes, the GBC now has divisions) Sao Paulo will be
sharks.JPG
Let's look at the new acquisitions first. Jim/Josh says "I love Min Tae Kim. He gets on base and will steal a bunch, making walks and singles into doubles a lot. he will cause chaos at the top of my lineup." Last season Min Tae Kim accrued a 3.5 war in the GBC-champion London minor leagues, and he is ready to bust out of the Shark Tank. J/J also likes his new power-hitting dh, Talbot Purcel (5/7/5) who spots 2nd in the lineup due to his 8 speed and 10 SA (stealing ability). LF Carl McIndoe (5/5/5, 7 gap) is also new to the Sharks this year and will bat 5th. Second sacker Jeremy Owbridge (5/5/5) is a free agent signee who just finished a six-year span as the San Antonio starting shortstop. That brings us to 1b Stewart Cannell (4/6/4), who can fly on the base paths. He will probably face stiff competition at first from Callum Montgomerie (5/7/5), recently claimed off wavers from Jerusalem; he features a 7 power and hit 22 homers in 403 at bats). Manuel Martinez (4/4/4) is tagged to play short; technically not new to the franchise, he spent last year at Sydney's Triple-A affiliate team Lagos.

Turning to the incumbents, we encounter the actual power and crowd favorites. These include the 25-yo masher Mohammed bin Mus'ad (7/6/7/) at third, who played in 155 games in '58, collected a 5.43 war (.309-21-84, 864ops); six-year Shark vet Harry S Stamper III (5/6/5, 2.3 war), who starts on the bench after signing an early contract extension of $6M. And at catcher, the still-young Ethan Gahan (5/5/5, 7 gap), was re-signed to the team after jumping the tank into the free agent waters. That leaves left fielder Jamal bin Majd (7/5/7/, 7 gap, 2.2 war), who will bat third in the line up.

A little J-bird has told me that the 24-yo prodigious outfielder Jose Marquez (6/6/5 POT, 8 gap, 7 eye), lately of Lagos, stands a chance of breaking into the lineup. Backing Gahan behind the plate is Bin Wan. Last, Fred Madden, a solid hitter will start on the IL.

PITCHING
J/J has said "The Polish sausage, our ace Niegloslaw Woywitka (. He has 3 devastating pitches, a 10 grade fastball, 10 grade slider, and 9 grade curve. Looking to go for the Cy Young? Whatever that is called here lol--oh and he reaches 100 MPH." I am not gonna double check the spelling of that name, and even if I did, there's no guarantee I'd get it right. Woywitka returns to the Sharks after leading the hurlers with a 5.6 war (13-9, 3.31, 1.09 whip). At 6'4" he is the shortest starter on this towering staff.

At 6'8" is Richard Balgera (6/6/7) in his second year as a Shark. He led the team with 217 IP and also features sizzling stuff. After that, Sydney will throw at you three behemoths from Triple-A Lagos: Dan 'Stumpy' Grigoras, 6' 7"; Alexander King (6' 9", 5/7/5); and lefty David Williams (6' 6", 5/5/7).

The pen will feature another FA signee (one that Cairo wanted very much), the 6' 6" Filippio Ioratti (6/6/7), who sported a 2.65 ERA/1.02 whip at Tokyo last year. Also in the pen, or thereabouts, will be Grigore Balas, Alex Leon (ex London), and the New Zealander Brodie Diprose (6/5/5), who closed for Sydney last season-on the mound, not at the opera house.

This looks like a fun team, with some exciting players, a great mix of newbie Sharks and some returning punch, with a basketball-team size starting rotation. I'm sure they'll compete for first in their GBC division. But, you know, they can always form a pro basketball team down under.
Cairo Pharaohs (GBC), 2058 offseason
Des Moines Kernels, 2058 Spring training II and onwards

Return to “Previews”