2058 San Fernando Bears Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
bcslouck
BBA GM

2058 San Fernando Bears Preview

Post by bcslouck » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:14 pm

The Bears broke through last year to make the playoffs for the first time since 2043 with it's 95 wins were the most the team has had since 2037.

Additions that Move the Needle
*SP Rubén bin Majid al Din
*OF/DH Jeffrey Smith
*C Clinton Tyler

Majid al Din has been a solid SP for a long time and the Bears hope that continues. He struggled pitching for Rocky Mountain last year after being traded from Charlotte. San Fernando also has a hitters park but not as drastic as Rocky Mountain so a bounce back is very possible. Smith has been a middle order of the bat for almost 20 years and nothing indicates that will change. Tyler has shown flashes of being an above average hitting C but make no mistake. He was brought in to bring defense behind the dish. They also added RP Rolf Reinhardt and RP You-cheng Hang from the GBC to bolster the pitching.

Losses
*1B Francisco Martínez
*SP Dan Small

Martinez isn't a slouch. He's a still a good hitter with power. And Dan Small is a solid pitcher when healthy who had his best year in 5 years. I think the organization managed to replace these guys with potentially better players.

Infield
*C Clinton Tyler
*1B Michael Schultz
*2B Dick Walton
*3B Roberto Rivera
*SS Sammy McNeill

We've addressed Tyler already so we'll address the others manning the diamond. Soon to be 24, Shultz is developing into one the great young power hitters in the BBA. I'd expect him to take another step forward especially with Smith in the lineup to provide some protection. Dick Walton had a career year last year with hit bat so I don't if he'll repeat that. I'd expect his offense to come back down to slightly below average levels. However, moving to 2B may make up any value lost with his bat this year. Rivera's second stint with San Fernando has stated off well with a 3.9 win season. And coming over in a mid-Spring Training trade is still one of the better SS's in the league. He hasn't been an above average hitter the last two seasons but he doesn't need to be. And if he does, WAR wise, he usually is one of the top players in the league and an MVP candidate. Assuming he's closer to the former at this stage in his career, him and Walton are now one of the better double combos in the BBA.

Outfield
*OF Tommy Harrison
*OF Kei-thing Law
*OF/DH Don Moore
*OF/DH Jeffrey Smith

While the bats here are good, I see a fairly glaring weakness in OF defense. Harrison really broke out as a hitter last year and will be able to hold down his spot in the OF defensively. Moore and Smith both can hit but aren't strong fielders. Law is where we have a double weakness. Weak bat and below average defense, the team would be wise to look for a replacement that can do one or the other.

Rotation
*Arnold Cantrell
*Rubén bin Majid al Din
*Alexander Swanson

There's more to the rotation than these guys but these are the locks. Cantrell is a star and the clear Ace of the staff. And Swanson has become a solid pitcher over the last few years. There are a couple names that could take up the 4 and 5 spots. I assume Morgan Tomsett is one of them and was solid in his first 12 starts. His development could be a big help to the team.

'pen
Jim Achbar was the weapon of choice last year out of the bullpen. He ate up a lot of innings and closed out a few games. Bob Butler looks interesting but hasn't played above A ball and will start the year on the IL. Any pitchers not making the rotation will probably be out there and can contribute. They signed a couple guys out of the GBC too, some listed above. I don't really see anyone that blows you away.

Prediction
The Bears season last year doesn't look like a fluke. Even though they lost a couple guys, they managed to get replacements that could be better. The late offseason trade gives them a big boost. The offense should remain strong with an improved infield defense. And the rotation is solid. Their outfield defense could cause issues and the bullpen could use an elite option. They aren't far from being a complete team. Before getting McNeill, I was thinking they'd be a 95 winnish team again. But I think they have a shot at pushing 100 if things go right for them.

98-64 which should be good enough for the Pacific.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: 2058 San Fernando Bears Preview

Post by BaseClogger » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:27 pm

Thanks, Brandon! I need a center field upgrade. I have faith I’ve cobbled together a decent bullpen and Fernando Ferretti is fine for the back of a rotation.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:32 pm

BaseClogger wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:27 pm
Thanks, Brandon! I need a center field upgrade. I have faith I’ve cobbled together a decent bullpen and Fernando Ferretti is fine for the back of a rotation.
I saw Ferretti and figured he was one of the other rotation guys but wasn’t 100% on it.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:46 pm

bcslouck wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:32 pm
BaseClogger wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:27 pm
I saw Ferretti and figured he was one of the other rotation guys but wasn’t 100% on it.
He's kinda interesting because he got Best Pitcher votes last year for his 17-6 record but he's clearly a backend guy (averaged 2.3 WAR over the last three years). Candrata Parmar and Richard Bullock are the depth.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:52 pm

tracked in PPT Tracker

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”