2057 – Brooklyn Robins

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

2057 – Brooklyn Robins

Post by RonCo » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:36 am

This year, there be buzz around the Brooklyn Robins. That happens when you go out and spend a whole bunch of money on guys who play baseball.

But the buzz is particularly interesting at this point because I hear whispers that the Brooklyn Robins might actually be good this year. One highly esteemed GM even mentioned their name as a possible Wild Card team

I mean, holy buzz, Batman. What’s going on here?
# # # Look.

The Robins are not going to be good in 2057. It’s just not happening.

They will almost certainly be better than their nearly historic 105-loss campaign last year, and they may even meet their GM states goals, which are essentially to sniff wining baseball and get their heads out of debt. That much is possible, but not certain. But any serious review of the Brooklyn Robins has to include the idea of just how historic those 105 losses were. For example, the Robins have only done worse once since the modern era began back in 1995 (107 losses in 2048). In addition, they have lost over 101 games in ten of the last eleven seasons, and that one season saw the team go 64-98. Not exactly party material there.

So, if the Robins go from that to a postseason kind of performance, well…

The additions of Ollie Lowry, Pepe Espinosa, Ken Arroyo, and Omer Dykstra notwithstanding, it’s just not happening.

Don’t believe me?

Let’s take a look at a few things.

First, the Good Stuff.

Bottom Lime: At 36, Ernest McBride can still rake. He hit 43 homers last year, down from 55 the year before. Scouts say his contact is down, but that’s like saying the Niagra Falls might be missing a gallon or two. Young Frank Liyongo is going to be able to hit, but he can’t quite yet. Check in sometime around 2059 maybe. And also at 36, I’d guess shortstop Pepe Espinosa will turn two more WAR. That will help a little, anyway, especially if no one looks at his paychecks—which they most definitely should not. The best news is that young 23-year-old Wilson Prieto will probably slide into second base this year. He’s going to be very good.

Also good, is that in the outfield young Emilio Morales, Jr. looks ready. He really can’t field, but the bat will play, and who is to complain about that.

Add it up and you can see that the Brooklyn Robins will probably be able to do some damage.

I mean, they could use a real third baseman, and a real left fielder, but find just a semi-capable guy for each, and the offense should, if not sing, at least hum a lot – especially if McBride doesn’t crash and burn this year.

The issue is on the other side of the fence.

Bringing in Ollie Lowry was the right thing to do, but the rotation is now “Lowery and Yu, then rely on tubes of goo.” All right, that’s not totally fair. 31-year-old FA Ken Arroyo was 14-5 for Valencia last year. If not drop=dead startling, he’s at least a professional pitcher.

Also to be fair, I suppose you could call the Brooklyn bullpen “Young and partially tested.” The eyeball test is not kind, with pretty much every candidate having some kind of glaring hole. If Pedro Alcantara, Jose Hernandez, and Nobuhito Kan can light a fire under young Julio Garcia and Samuel Vankrimpen, then that would go a way toward proving me wrong when I say this pitching staff literally cannot be a post-season pitching staff.
# # # So, really. No post season buzz, all right? That’s silly talk. Or, I guess if you believe in “No Injuries Ever,” then I suppose it’s possible, but really? Is that what you’re staking your reputation on?

Still, I love the buzz.

And it’s not unearned. There are good things happening in Brooklyn for the first time in a decade. The shell is at least beginning to crack, but post-season in 2057?

Seriously?

Even in the weak-kneed Atlantic Division, I think that’s asking a lot.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

lordtoffee
BBA GM

Re: 2057 – Brooklyn Robins

Post by lordtoffee » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:43 am

A very fair look that I agree with. I’d be incredibly thrilled if we are in the playoff hunt into the summer, but something tells me that the preseason predictions are flattering me a bit.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:37 am

Spot on, @RonCo.
ImageImageImageImageImage

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:19 pm

Very Jim Mora-esc :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic