2057 Hebrew Hammers

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
R.Umali
BBA GM

2057 Hebrew Hammers

Post by R.Umali » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:59 pm

Coach,

I appreciate you immensely for letting me hang on in Jerusalem for the rest of Spring Training. The touristy things are for real, you should really check them out when and if you return for F1 in November. That Samson's Court building they have next to the stadium is actually quite cool. Can't believe Sir Lyle's never been - it's what, only an hour away (yes, I tired to see him - more on that later).

Anyway, I typed up some stray thoughts about the Hammers. I hope this is what you're looking for. We play a four game set with them to start the season, you know.

SOME NOTES on the PITCHING

So we went 2-1 against them in the Spring. I don't have to tell you that that doesn't matter. It doesn't. I know you were happy to beat the champs but in those two wins, the Hammers were just screwing around. You were there and I was there. Still, it was illuminating to see how they work.

I am glad that we did get to see more than a few innings from Afzul Chishti. He led the league in wins last year (15). His line against us: 5 IP, 2 ER, 1 BB, 7 K. Yeah, Chishti didn't have the best spring but I bet if we looked at the vid-comp, we'd see him trying out new things. I actually see him improving his stuff and winning 14 games at least.

But that second game ... what a trip. 20 pitchers between us, you realize that? The Hammers had great relief last year so it was nice to see them trotting out the value arms and farmhands. Juan Rivas, Oscar Hadingham (Grimsby represent!), George Connolly, Benjamin MacCambridge, and Dileep Mirchandani. There's absolutely no book, no VCs, on these guys. It looks like Connolly's got Zach Moore-Smith's favor. Connolly's end of spring stats: 17 G 15.2 IP 3 ER 5 BB 12 K.

It was cool to send our bats against Adel Bin Husam Al Din in G3. What a treat. Guy's a beast. Could he hit 40 home runs and start 30 games? Just hope he doesn't do it against us. Call me a fan.

I wish we got to see their lefty Denzel Loxton. We weren't in the league for his rookie year but he made a real splash. The VC on that is pretty cool. He went 9-2, 3.02 ERA. Came out of nowhere. Wheels fell off last year, though: 35 HR in 160-some innings. Overthrowing most like. What's odd is that he did not get a start this spring. Only pitched 3.2. Still, I'd be surprised if he's not in the rotation. I mean, how could you not? I bet ZSM's going to have a short leash on him, though.

So I have it as Afzul Chishti, Paris Zervakos, Adel bin Husam al Din - I read somewhere that it means Sword of Faith or Flaming Sword or something Sword - then Denzel Loxton, and then maybe Negussu Osahar? Darren Asseldonk? You know I'm not making up these names, right? These are real pitchers. Their VCs should be on the Easels or whatever you are using.

SOME NOTES on the HITTING

So you know the Hammers made some big bets. They gave Patrick Faber (36-year catcher) $7.5m. Guy could be worth it. He's a total workhorse: he caught 125 games, slash line .298 / .364 / .478, 22 home run and 86 RBI. Guy keeps getting better year and year. If he doesn't produce, though, I don't think the bet can be covered.

The guy we want to watch out for is Irfan Umayr. You look at the vid-comp? 25-year old Rookie of the Year. Check out his DMIs. Workout XPs galore. You bet he's making scrilla off that. Such patience, though! 101 walks last year! For a rookie? Oh, and kick in 28 home runs just to keep 'em honest.

Hammers youth movement is for real: Rajko Lovre (23 yrs old, 1.8 WAR last year) and Jaicus Bigornia (23 yrs old, 2.0 WAR). Kids! Seems kind of unfair these kids are all on one team. Could be a dynasty in the making? The pundits think so. All of Jerusalem thinks so. Hell, even the Besuboru Journal and Shinbum Online think so, if you read between the lines! BTW, you gotta keep working on the Besuboru guy. And don't don't don't give the time of day to those Shinbum hacks - Michiru Uehara? Hiromi Yamane? Both of them. They've had it out for us ever since that "asking directions" VC.

Anyway, Lovre and Bigornia are a good hedge on their $9m bet on 36 year-old OF Tomas Guillen. Guillen was ours once upon a time.

Outfielder Antonio Roman is another hedge. A good one at $1.2m. Solid spring. Give the Hammers a crowded outfield, though. Good problems to have. Whoever they run out on Opening Day is going to be formidable, or as the French say: "For me, da bull."

RANDOM NOTES

Remember I talked to you about this guy Sabeeh Humam - he had 4 RBIs against us in 2 games. Looked like he was going to be a killer but then he ended up with only 6 RBIs all spring. But he's a real leader. Locals love him. Arab. Born in Nein. Israeli kid. He might get called up just to ride the pine, steady the ship, glad hand the fans. If he makes the team in any capacity, he brings what they used to call an "intangible."

The Hebrew Hammers come to Tokyo for our first series. They are healthy and they'll be tough. They won't be futzing with bullpen games. They'll be looking to silence those critics who say they overachieved last year. They are for reals.

//

I tried to set up a sit down with Sir Lyle about a few of our concerns, try to get him more involved but you were right, he wouldn't see me. I might have upset his valet just so you know if SL talks to you about that - which I doubt because that'll mean actually communicating with you - then you know where it's coming from.

See you in a few.

Robinson Ortiz
Bench Coach
Tokyo Pearls

drzachary
Ex-GM

Re: 2057 Hebrew Hammers

Post by drzachary » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:39 pm

Fantastic work!!

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: 2057 Hebrew Hammers