Omaha Cyclones 2057 Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
neugey
Ex-GM

Omaha Cyclones 2057 Preview

Post by neugey » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:53 pm

Following a season off, GM Justin Niles is back in control of the Cyclones and he and fans are relieved to see not all that much has changed with the team. The team still has their core of power hitters intact, and the rotation is still talented and deep enough to contend in the Heartland.

The losses have been minimal this offseason. Aging corner outfielders RF Jose Hurtado and Kieran Rinn left in free agency, but young RF Stephen Futon seems more than qualified to take over after hitting .315 in his rookie season and earning most of the at-bats. He may not be the power merchant that some of the other Cyclones are, but he brings more contact and balance to the hitting core.

And what a hitting core it is. 10-time All-Star 3B Luis Mendoza still appears to be in dominant form, and another 40+ HR’s from him seems like a no-brainer. 1B Wilson Estrada is also a fine hitter who can slide over and play third when Mendoza needs a breather. The team is also strong up the middle defensively and the duo of SS Dusty Crouch and Pedro Gongora can at least hit for power to make up for their sub-.200 averages.

LF Amid Kasim is a proven power bat and has a strong arm. CF Du Wu, who recently signed a five-year contract extension, has a similar makeup and fans are really glad the man who hit 55 homers in 2054 is still on board. And as mentioned before, Futon should continue to flourish given Omaha’s strong lineup.

Behind the plate the team has Sloth Fratelli, who is still on the short list of the best catchers in BBA. But in 2057 he will be pairing with a new backup catcher in Joe Bradshaw, formerly of Portland.

As far as pitching goes, Omaha continues to be in great shape. The staff is spearheaded by 2054 Nebraska winner Takashi Nakamura. He’s only 29 and still has the kind of makeup capable of earning a second Nebraska. And the guys behind him are no slouches. 24-year-old Arturo Meza won 15 games last year and led the Frick in fewest walks per 9 innings and looks to be the staff ace of the next decade. Jose Barron was an All-Star last year and won 17 games. Lefty Mathis Gerard has a live arm but his control can make fans nervous. Righty Robert Wilson is very above average for a back-end of the rotation arm.

Closer Dave Ferrell is only 28 and at the peak of his powers. The rest of the bullpen though is somewhat lacking in depth and quality. It’s likely that Mr. Niles and his staff are slowplaying it and looking to add a few arms closer to opening day, or see if the right fit appears on waivers.

It’s been 11 years since Omaha’s last championship, and something tells me they will be on the upswing this year with their old GM back on board. It won’t be very easy in the Heartland however, with the always-loaded Bluebirds in play along with the formidable I-35 duo of Des Moines and Twin Cities. I predict they’ll find a way up to 96 wins and finish second in the Heartland, and follow it up with a serious playoff run.

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: Omaha Cyclones 2057 Preview

Post by trmmilwwi » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:42 pm

I-35 duo, I like that! Can we make it a trio? Guys? I'm down here in Texas.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:58 pm

Wonder is 96 wins is enough for 2nd in Heartland.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:20 pm

Dington wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:58 pm
Wonder is 96 wins is enough for 2nd in Heartland.
And who that puts in 1st, 3rd, and 4th.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:07 am

#SaveFerrell !!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”