2056 Chicago Black Sox Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
JimSlade
BBA GM

2056 Chicago Black Sox Preview

Post by JimSlade » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:17 pm

It could be another year of developing young talent for the Chicago Black Sox in the Heartland division. Coming off a 70-92 6th-place finish in 2055, GM Kevin Chmura added developed starting pitchers Anthony Jones, who went 11-6 for the Rocky Mountain Oysters last season, and Richard Bullock, who managed to lose 4 games as a swingman for the mighty Charm City Jimmies, a whopping nearly 10%! All joking aside, Bullock's slightly down year followed at few years of ascendance. At 27, he should be a solid middle-of-the-rotation addition.

Two of the best starting pitchers for the Black Sox in 2055, Carlos Moya and Dirk Bessi, pitched out of the pen in spring training. I can't imagine them making a full-time move to the pen. Maybe the team simply wanted to see how some young guys looked. I imagine they along with Bullock will anchor the rotation along with 24-year-old Motuha Kalinda, a groundballer who will need to watch his control if he is to do more than split time between the rotation and the pen, as he did in his first full season. By midseason, perhaps the Black Sox will insert Bobby Sherman, who missed most of what might have been his final AAA polishing season with an arthritic elbow, or even #4 overall 2054 pick Murugay Malabanan, who showed promise in spring training after a promising season in AA. If all else fails, Felipe Mendez will be ready to take the ball. When you look up "acceptable 5th starter" in the dictionary you'll see Felipe's face. (He also shows up under the entry, "Typical Rockville starter (1-5) since Jim Slade took over that team and drove them into mediocrity.")

Chicago's bullpen features closer Mike Baker, a primetime, affordable luxury who could stick around until the organization's fine set of prospects matriculates or who could be an attractive piece for a contender at the trade deadline. Aaron Anderson, who slumped after coming over in a midseason trade with Sacramento, is due for a bounce-back year. After that, a series of question marks are likely to get ample audition opportunities to stick in the bigs.

The Black Sox' offense could be lacking. Third baseman Jeremy Starks and leftfielder Juan Lizarazo both profile as gap hitters with above average OPS and the ability to knock 15 to 20 home runs. Carlos Garza and Kyuichi are occasionally pesky corner outfielders with the ability to swipe a bag. Frank Collins could hit 30 home runs, if he could lift his OBP high enough to be a full-time starter. The best hope for additional offensive production may come from a couple of 24 year olds, first baseman Ralph Knowles and third baseman Angel Zambrano. Young second base prospect Tsu-bahr Hru probably needs another year in the minors before he can make an impact.
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

KJChmura
Ex-GM

Re: 2056 Chicago Black Sox Preview

Post by KJChmura » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:52 pm

Nice write up. Bessi and Moya only pitched out of bullpen in Spring to limit risk of injury. They are 2 key starters.

JimSlade
BBA GM

Re: 2056 Chicago Black Sox Preview

Post by JimSlade » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:00 pm

I was thinking, as I worked on your team's preview, that if we could combine your rotation with my lineup, we'd compete!
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”