Doubleday Round: Johnson League

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Doubleday Round: Johnson League

Post by RonCo » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:45 pm

Yesterday, on my writer's FB page, I posted this great story of a kinda prehistoric nematode (that’s a worm, for all you people in Loserville) that had been frozen in permafrost for 46,000 years, then woken up by being dethawed. Turns out it was still alive, and after wriggling its wormy way through the modern-day world, began to reproduce. It’s a cool story. Very Sleeping Beauty, right? At least the first part, anyway. I doubt seriously that Sleeping Beauty had kids a couple days after the prince showed up, anyway … though that could make an interesting retelling.

You can read it here.

JACKSONVILLE vs. CHARM CITY
ImageImage

Unlike Sleeping Beauty, though, Jacksonville, who in some shamed fashion managed to make it through Mexico City unscathed, finds itself up against some stronger magic this time around. It’s the 120-win behemoth of a baseball team in the form of the Charm City Jimmies. Yikes.

When you see a team like Charm City, you know you’re dealing with a Black Hole kind of thing. I mean. 120 wins in one place just warps the field, right? Where did these things come from? Is it truly that good of a team, or is the Atlantic just really horrible. This situation, though, gives us an interesting natural experiment. Jacksonville own 90 games, after all. That’s pretty good. How can well look at these two teams to get an idea of their relative powers?

Well, let’s try it this way.

Let’s remove the games they played against each other and compare their performances.

First, let’s look inside the division:

JacksonvilleWLCharm City JimmiesWL
Atlantic City Gamblers104113
Brooklyn Robins77104
Charlotte Cougars104122
Charm City Jimmies
Montreal Blazers9595
New Orleans Crawdads7786
Rockville Pikemen113122

Interesting, right? Both teams were quite strong against their division rivals. So, maybe Jacksonville is a real contender, eh? Maybe their puncher’s chance is legit.

Now let’s go to their matches against the Frontier:

JacksonvilleWLCharm City JimmiesWL
Boise Spuds4471
Calgary Pioneers3562
Edmonton Jackrabbits5371
Las Vegas Hustlers5371
Mexico City Aztecs1762
Phoenix Talons5362
Rocky Mountain Oysters4453
San Antonio Outlaws3562

Woah, Nelly!

The Jimmies destroyed the Frontier to the tune of a 78% winning record, while Jacksonville faded to a sub-.500 team.

Sure, it’s just one metric. But this metric says that while both teams’ records have been bloated by playing against the Atlantic division, only Charm City has been able to sustain it. So, the verdict here is that it’s an And World, meaning that the Jimmies ae winning for both reasons: (1) they are a great team, and (2) the Atlantic is horrible.

And yet, three of the four teams left standing are Atlantic Division teams.

Weird, right?

Regardless, this study is good enough for me: Charm City in five.

MONTREAL vs. ROCKY MOUNTAIN
ImageImage

The Blazers torched the Boise Spuds in decisive fashion in their Geoghegan matchup, finishing out that series with a 13-3 drubbing that left the answer in no doubt. Shortstop Dick Walton clubbed five hits that last game to go with the five he’d already clubbed in the earlier games. The only reason he didn’t get six was that he only came to the plate five times.

Having dispatched their first Frontier foe, Montreal finds the Oysters of Rocky Mountain blocking their way.

Talk about an unsavory sight.

If there’s good news here it’s that the team’s pitching staff, which was a little gassed after the sacking of Boise, should be recovered.

If there’s bad news it’s that almost all those pitchers are right-handed, and for whatever reasons the baseball gods have, the Oysters mostly RHB OPS .872 against RHP and only .832 vs. lefties. Hmmm. Whatever. It’s also probably not good news that the best player on the field is going to be Oyster CF Resurrection Santos III, who, at 23, could be the face of baseball for a long time (30 HR, 16 seals, and an +18 Zone Rating will do that), or that the best pitcher in this era of baseball might well be Alaric Wullenweber, and even with him aging out a little, the idea of facing him twice can’t be good. And, finally, it’s probably not good news that the Oysters have a chip on the shell of their shoulder, that being that this is their third-straight time in the postseason, but their first as a division winner.

They’re going to be hungry.

Third time, they say is a charm.

Of course, the same might be said for Montreal, who lost to the Boise team last season and made it this far their second go-around. And at the end of the day this is a grudge match of a sorts: can a 95-win second place finisher in an under-developed Atlantic Division take down the towering winner of the Frontier?

I’m thinking the answer is no, but it will be close. Montreal may well crush the Rocky Mountain’s Oysters while in Canada, but the Colorado altitude will get to the Dragons otherwise.

Let’s say Rocky Mountain in seven.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Re: Doubleday Round: Johnson League

Post by GoldenOne » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:50 pm

RMO have a .580 winning percentage at home but a .592 percentage on the road. Montreal is certainly tough north of the border and I think it'll go 7 still.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”