2053 Geoghegan Preview: Talons vs Gamblers (Best of 5)

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
neugey
Ex-GM

2053 Geoghegan Preview: Talons vs Gamblers (Best of 5)

Post by neugey » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:44 am

Despite a very narrow margin, the Phoenix Talons clawed their way into the BBA postseason with a 86-76 record, leaving other clubs like Montreal and Charlotte on the wrong side of the playoff bubble. They will face off against a superior Atlantic City squad who finished in second place in the Johnson Atlantic division.

Phoenix was powered by Steven "Scooter" Collins III, who even at age 36 shows no signs of slowing down with the bat. The steely veteran led the team with a .342/.386/.530 line and crossed the plate a Johnson-high 122 times. He made the All-Star team for the first time in 9 seasons and was also inducted into the Jackrabbits team Hall of Fame. In addition to Scooter's contributions, the Talons got serious about the long ball this year and led the entire Johnson in homers. Apparently still upset at all the BBA clubs that passed on him in free agency and left him unsigned until April, 1B Ernest McBride hit 42 dingers, and other teammates weren't far behind him. This offensive barrage helped cover up some serious flaws on the mound. Amayas Moelling was the only starter who managed an ERA under 5.00, and the team as a whole had a lousy 4.99 ERA. The bullpen also took their fair share of damage and no reliever really established himself. The team struggled on the road and also in 1-run ball games. That alone might forecast a rapid exit from the playoffs.

Atlantic City is surely the better team, but also has their own flaws. The defense is pretty ordinary and the bullpen outside of closer Steven Flannery lets up quite a few runs. They do have a true ace in 7-time All Star Carlos Flores, who went 16-6 with a 3.64 ERA and 1.22 WHIP this year. But Flores and some of the other starters have shaky control and can be exploited by batters with a good eye. On the offensive side, the Gamblers are powered by OF Juan Rivera. All Rivera did in 2053 was lead the Johnson in homers (44), slugging (.698), OPS (1.123), and several other hitting categories. He should be a finalist for Johnson regular season MVP. Teams can't pitch around Rivera either, as the Gamblers have other hitters like 1B Oliverio Luna and RF Jose Romero to keep them honest. Behind the plate, Atlantic City has one of the better catchers in the game in Octavio Moreno. There is enough talent here to have championship aspirations right now.

The Verdict: This should be a mismatch, but I think Scooter magic and the Talons' knack for hitting homers will keep this series tight. I predict a game 5, but one in which the Gamblers dominate offensively against the Talons' iffy pitching.
Last edited by neugey on Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Re: 2053 Geoghegan Preview: Talons vs Gamblers (Best of 5)

Post by chicoruiz » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:35 am

I really think I need one more pitcher to be a serious playoff contender… or one more hitter…or one more SOMETHING. Anyway, I feel like the Gamblers might have a chance in this series, but I don’t see us as a long-term threat.
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”