2053 Geoghegan Preview: Hustlers vs Oysters (Best of 5)

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
neugey
BBA GM

2053 Geoghegan Preview: Hustlers vs Oysters (Best of 5)

Post by neugey » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:16 pm

I once traveled through the Rocky Mountains to reach Las Vegas. So that makes me as good of an expert as any to analyze the Geoghegan matchup between the Oysters and the Hustlers.

The rebrand and move north from El Paso to Colorado has treated the Oysters well, to say the last. Long forgotten is last year's 71-91 last place finish. The team improved by a whopping 27 wins and finished the season tied for the third best record in the Johnson League. The offense has been productive, ranking 2nd in batting average and first in stolen bases among Johnson teams. The starting pitching was superb, behind great efforts from Anthony Jones, Stephen Best and Antonio Hernandez. Closer Jian-cheng Shi has also been in the zone with 46 saves and a 3.28 ERA. The weak spots for the Oysters are their power-hitting and defense, both of which can be a little patchy. But behind first-time All-Star 2B Malik Bin Mazin, who led the Johnson with 58 doubles, the Oysters are a threat. Thus Las Vegas cannot afford to underestimate these newcomers.

The Hustlers have decades of playoff experience to leverage, but they will need to play mistake-free baseball because they don't have the offense to keep pace with the Oysters. Only RF Tom Rudge has a batting average over .300. Las Vegas will need to lean on their run prevention, behind a good defense and a supreme bullpen. 10-time All-Star closer Lorenzon de Medici posted 39 saves and his partner-in-crime Renato Lacerda contributed 16 more. SP John Rasmussen III led the club with 17 wins and solid metrics. The outfield of Rudge, CF Kidane Ata and LF Jim-soo Chong is very formidable on defense as well as offense. 2B Stewart "Sky" Turton also contributed with both the glove and the bat in 2053.

Verdict: This 2053 edition is not vintage Las Vegas, and I see the Hustlers having trouble with the Oysters' hitters, particularly star 1B Robert Chenoweth and his gaudy offensive totals. The men residing in the ski slopes should move onto the next round after a 3-1 series win.

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

lordtoffee
BBA GM

Re: 2053 Geoghegan Preview: Hustlers vs Oysters (Best of 5)

Post by lordtoffee » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:41 pm

Brett has done a great job, and I do think that he is probably going to get a ton of love for Johnson League GM of the Year. I think that Vegas will keep it close, but I like the Oysters as well.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:27 pm

Vegas has been my Achilles heal in previous playoff attempts. Granted, that was when they were winning 4 BBA titles, but still.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:46 am

My offense this year seems more like a classic Phoenix boom or bust, Earl Weaver three-run homer fueled affair.

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:54 am

recte44 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:46 am
My offense this year seems more like a classic Phoenix boom or bust, Earl Weaver three-run homer fueled affair.
You've said the same kind of thing the last two times I've faced you in the playoffs and beat me both times, one time it was a sweep. Hoping it truly is a bust this time around.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”