2046 Geoghegan Preview: Hawaii Tropics vs. Chicago Black Sox

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
lordtoffee
BBA GM

2046 Geoghegan Preview: Hawaii Tropics vs. Chicago Black Sox

Post by lordtoffee » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:02 pm

Hello, and welcome to a playoff preview. In this preview, we will be looking at the first round series between the Hawaii Tropics and the Chicago Black Sox. Hopefully this won't age too horribly. Though, I'm sure it might.

The Records:
Hawaii finished the year at 92-70. They were just a game out of first in the Pacific behind the Seattle Storm. They are the final team in the playoffs in the Frick.

Chicago finished the year at 98-64. They finished 9 games behind Louisville. They are the top wild card, and have the second best record overall in the Frick playoffs.

How Did They Do Against Each Other:
The season series ended 3-3. Both teams took 2 of 3 at their respective home parks. It should be noted that they haven't faced off since July. Also, there were no blowouts in those six games, with the biggest margin of victory being an 8-4 Hawaii win in April.

Tropics Outlook:
James Walker has been the GM in Hawaii for a few years, and has done a fine job every year since coming over from the UMEBA. The Tropics have often been defined with their great pitching, and rightfully so. Alaric Wullenweber has been arguably the best pitcher in baseball, and once again won 20 games. He has also been very effective down the stretch, and will likely get the ball twice in this series should there not be a sweep. But the Tropics have struggled with the bullpen all year. Said bullpen ranks 2nd worst in the Frick in terms of ERA, and really has dragged down the total staff numbers. Someone is going to have to step up to slam the door shut, and that must be a big worry for Tropics fans.

But it's not all bad news for the Tropics. Their offense has been very impressive, and led by a player who should win a bunch of individual awards. Ernest McBride had another one of his godly power years, and will obviously be the major threat offensively. He probably would go number 1 overall if we did a redraft of the 2039 first round. But, he has plenty of protection in the lineup. Mike Campbell put up similar numbers, and should be due some postseason award recommendation. The offense is very extra base heavy statistically, and should match up well against the Black Sox staff.

Black Sox Outlook:
This year has been one of the more emotional seasons in BBA history, and sadly we all know the reason why. Vic's passing still is very sad and this team was looking like a playoff contender when Jim Cox had to take over the GM seat right around the start of the season. I can think of no better way to honor Vic's memory then Jim masterminding a return to the postseason. In the Frick, I would personally recommend either Jim or Nathan be named GM of the Year. But we might be talking about Nathan later. The Black Sox were an absolute beast at home, winning nearly 70 percent of the home games. Their offense might not have some of the raw numbers that Hawaii has, but still put of very good power numbers and has a star hitter of their own. Aarnoud Budding is one of the links back to the franchise's previous life as the Huntsville Phantoms, and has hit 33 home runs. He is going to be critical because the weakness of the Tropics is the bullpen, and if he can get a couple of late hits, that could swing a game.

Pitching is the strength of this team, and there is no balance issues with the staff construction as far as I can see. In terms of rotation ERA, only the Nine beat out the Black Sox rotation, and the numbers are deceiving. Bernie Stewart headlines the rotation, and is part of the youth of the rotation that Black Sox have benefitted. I love how Stewart has three 9+ rated pitches, and that stamina rating is outstanding. If Stewart can match Wullenweber in at least one start, then that would be a huge bonus for the Sox. The bullpen is just as good, and also has a nice young core to build around. Francisco Salgado is an interesting stopper. He has two great pitches in the cutter and slider, and has more length than you would think. When he was in the minors, he was a starter. The numbers as a starter were not great, and Vic made the decision to turn him into a relief pitcher. That has been vindicated, as Salgado has blossomed into a capable stopper, and should help slam the door shut on Black Sox wins.

Who wins?:
This should be a close series. The Tropics can hit, and they are used to the long travel from Hawaii. But I think that the Tropics need find a way to get one of the first two in Chicago, and they can't lose at home. I'm taking the Black Sox in 4, though I could see the Tropics winning this series.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: 2046 Geoghegan Preview: Hawaii Tropics vs. Chicago Black Sox

Post by Jwalk100 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:16 pm

We have a punchers chance but my 'pen is horrible. I need to score a ton of runs in the series.

Nice write up @lordtoffee!
ImageImageImageImageImage

lordtoffee
BBA GM

Re: 2046 Geoghegan Preview: Hawaii Tropics vs. Chicago Black Sox

Post by lordtoffee » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:38 pm

Thanks James, and it will be interesting to see how this series goes.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”