Mumbai Metro Stars Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
DaveB
GB: JL Atlantic Division Director

Mumbai Metro Stars Preview

Post by DaveB » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:10 pm

Catchers:

Dan Clapper - Comes off a .273/.326/.405 year. Clapper is a solid defender who can work the count and had a 1.7 WAR last year.
Ron Kennerley is the backup catcher this year. Kennerley struggled last season with a .655 OPS in 8 games with Mumbai. He has some decent ratings, we're hoping he can provide a decent bat off the bench

Infielders:
Manuel Marino was signed late off the free agent market. We liked Marino in large part because of his ability to work the count and make life miserable for opposing pitchers. He also has some pop with 20 HR potential.

Carlos Reyes is back on the roster, but not returning as the starter like he was last year. Reyes had a solid 3.5 WAR last year, but I was afraid he might take a step back this year. He's going to see some time as a reserve at both 1B and 3B vs RHP and will be in the lineup vs LHP.

William Drew is going to be our starting 2B. I'm excited I think he can provide a solid bat and a steady glove this year.

Sancho Castillo returns as our starting 3B. He's a solid defensive 3B who has been very good with the bat the last few years. Looking forward to managing this young man.

Matthew Hewat is our starting shortstop. Hewat is a defensive wizard. Even though he only had a .620 OPS last year he still managed a very solid 2.8 WAR. We love his glove.

Gabriel Nava makes the team as our utility infielder. He's not going to terrify anyone with the bat but provides a decent glove which is what we were looking for.

Outfielders:

Juan Hernandez is going to be our primary backup outfielder. Not a home run threat he does have some pop but profiles more as a doubles hitter.

Frank Mahaffey has big time power, but struggled a bit last year. I'm hoping to see a rebound as he could be an important part of the team.

Weaver Ripley is a solid defensive center fielder who has the ability to hit the ball a great distance. The big knock on him is sometimes his strike zone will widen and he'll chase some bad pitches.

Keiran Filby is a player I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. He has the tools to possibly challenge for a batting title. I'm excited to see the developments for this young man.

Luis Gonzalez had a solid .812 OPS last year after signing with Mumbai. I'm hoping to see him continue that this year.

35 year old John Hickman is back this year and will step into a backup outfield role. He had a solid .832 OPS last year.

Starting Pitchers:

Ronald Eglinton will be our opening day starting pitcher. He had a 91 ERA+ last year. I'm hoping to see him develop and improve this year.

Jose Lima has struggled in recent years in the BBA. I'm hoping to see him have a solid year. We might need it.

Jerry Grenfell probably be a very solid pitcher out of the pen, but he intrigues me enough to try him in the rotation.

Stephen Clulow had a solid 2045 as seen by his 103 ERA+. We're hoping he can continue this.

Gennady Zachinsky had a great 2044, but was injured most of the year last year. I'm hoping he can have a solid enough year and stay healthy.

Relief:

Leonardo Gomez is a decent reliever. He does sometimes leave the ball up causing some homers.

Miguel Gonzalez will open the season as our long inning reliever. I think he'll see some time in the rotation at some point this year.

Larry Long makes the opening day roster jumping from AA. He's got some good stuff.

Jamie Torres was signed as a free agent, he's got some solid stuff.

Sancho Torres had an off year last year but has a career 122 ERA+. I'm hoping he can bounce back to that.

Vincente 'The Body' Ventura had a 157 ERA+ last year and has been very good in recent years. Solid looking reliever.

Knox Sked is our closer and has a really weird name. He's also one of the better relievers in the game. I'm glad to have him on our team.

My apologies for the lack of links, but that's not my strong point. I'm hopeful to see the team reach the playoffs again this year, but I'm a bit nervous with the pitching looking a bit sketchy.
2046-47 UMEBA Champ for Mumbai Metro Stars
2050 UMEBA Champ for Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers

RichY
Ex-GM

Re: Mumbai Metro Stars Preview

Post by RichY » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:46 am

Good luck Dave, I'll be rooting for you from over in the Burt.
El Paso Chili's GM 2046-
Riyadh Red Crescents GM 2046
Mumbai Metro Stars GM 2045, Won United Cup

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Post by tylertoo » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:27 am

Nice preview, Dave. I'd wish you good luck if you weren't in the same division and the defending champion!
DaveB wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:10 pm
My apologies for the lack of links, but that's not my strong point.
A now-former league GM created a utility program that automates this, you can find it here. I've had some success with it.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=37760&p=208718#p208718

Otherwise the manual instructions are here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

allenciox
Ex-GM

Post by allenciox » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:20 am

It's good to see you posting information about your team, and I am happy to see that you are getting "in" to the experience of being a UMEBA GM.

A few other notes that you might not be aware of yet:

1. Team Previews are supposed to be done on teams other than your own. Typically, information about your team should be put on the channel corresponding to your team.

2. There is a preview sign-up thread where people are supposed to sign on to doing previews before the preview is done. This is to make sure that as many teams are covered as possible without two previews being done on the same team. Here is the thread: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=38286 . You might also note that tylertoo already did a Mumbai preview for 2046 here: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=38345

allenciox
Ex-GM

Post by allenciox » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:16 am

I have been looking over the team and I think Mumbai might have the best offense in all of UMEBA this season. Their defense is slightly above average (thanks to Hewatt, who is incredible) and their pitching is "decent".

Hewatt should end up being the best SS in UMEBA over the next few years --- great defense, with MUCH better hitting than we normally see for shortstops in this league.

DaveB
GB: JL Atlantic Division Director

Post by DaveB » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:57 am

tylertoo wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:27 am
Nice preview, Dave. I'd wish you good luck if you weren't in the same division and the defending champion!
DaveB wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:10 pm
My apologies for the lack of links, but that's not my strong point.
A now-former league GM created a utility program that automates this, you can find it here. I've had some success with it.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=37760&p=208718#p208718

Otherwise the manual instructions are here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3
Thanks
2046-47 UMEBA Champ for Mumbai Metro Stars
2050 UMEBA Champ for Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”