2046 Des Moines Kernels Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
StormZ_23
Ex-GM

2046 Des Moines Kernels Preview

Post by StormZ_23 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:57 pm

The Kernels of Des Moines have been through a rough patch for many years. Kernels fans haven't seen a season record over .500 since 2031 and a playoff berth since 2008. General manager Geoff Webb is seeking to steer this franchise back to success. 2045 was another rebuilding season in the tough Heartland for the Kernels. How close is this team to reaching .500? Let's find out.

Veteran catcher Luis Barrera is going to be a burden for the Kernels through 2047 as he can't catch or hit despite having a giant contract. Don't be surprised if he's released sometime soon. The fight for starting catcher spot will be a battle between Patrick Faber and Pascoal Egreja. Although don't be surprised if Andy Elmer is wearing a Kernels uniform by the end of the year. Surprisingly the Kernels have many high potential guys in the infield. The player who has produced the most success for them is Juan Mateo. Chua-kah Yang had a comeback year in 2045 after an abysmal 2044. Other guys like Hugh Mangrouthormone, Anastasio Guillén, and Luis Cruz are all guys to keep an eye on. The outfield leaves much to be desired. Norihisa Yokoyama is clearly the best outfielder on this team. Apart from him there's not much to talk about. However, I do want to mention Ryan Newman. His face will likely scare coaches into giving him the starting left field spot.

Onto the pitching staff. I have to mention that Pedro Tanon and Anthony DeYoung will be injured for a while. DeYoung will likely be ready in April for A or AA, but Tanon is probably out for the season. The best starter is obviously Timmy Karnes. While Karnes hasn't quite reached his full potential, he is still an above average pitcher on most days. Rafael Rodriguez is another interesting young pitcher. However, the rest of the rotation is full of replacement level guys. Bobby Lynch is sitting in the bullpen, but he's clearly past his prime. Also, look for Larry Fain and Daniel Camacho to get a chance in the rotation this season. As for the bullpen, there are a couple of decent players. Look out for Bill Keil because he has the potential to be a star reliever.

With many of the team's top prospects in the lower minor leagues, fans may have to wait a few more seasons before they see a Kernels team with a record above .500. This team isn't super bad, but I have a hard time putting them outside of last place. The Frick League will be as competitive as ever, so the Kernels will finish last in the Heartland once again. Though I hope the front office enjoys their upcoming top 5 picks. My prediction is a 64-98 record and a last place finish.
Taylor Bettencourt
Vancouver Mounties GM (2036 - Present)

2041 Frick League GM of the Year
2041 FL Pacific Champions

FuzzyRawley
Ex-GM

Re: 2046 Des Moines Kernels Preview

Post by FuzzyRawley » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:02 pm

Gonna be another season of looking up at the other teams in the Heartland methinks. Now just need to get that revenue up.
:cool: They say it don't be like it is, but it do!

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Re: 2046 Des Moines Kernels Preview

Post by Fat Nige » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:31 pm

I know that feeling lol, that stiff neck that you get from spending season after season looking up
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”