2045 Boise Spuds Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
StormZ_23
Ex-GM

2045 Boise Spuds Preview

Post by StormZ_23 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:21 pm

The Boise Spuds need a better logo. That's the intro, let's get into the preview.

3 catchers have been fighting for a starting spot throughout spring training. If I were to pick a catcher to be my starter, I would pick Rafael Mendoza. He's the best defensive catcher between the three candidates and he's at least a mediocre offensive player. Maybe he will split time with Zach Reid in a platoon. But, I'm sure this is still being figured out, especially with Pat Alexander still in the mix. Looking at the infield, there are some nice players here. At first base, I assume there will be a platoon between Pepe Madrid and Jose Hernandez. It's possible Jose Rodriguez spends some time in AAA, but I would rather have him start the whole season in the big leagues and see what he can do. I'm not sure if Jack Douglas has a place on this roster given his infield range, so he may be an injury replacement. Motonobu Yamashita hasn't shown the offensive ability he displayed in 2042, but he is a plus defender at shortstop and he is an elite contact hitter. A great player all around. Tim Teune will likely be the main backup infielder. There is no definitive third baseman. That spot is being fought between Ricardo Aragon and Dave Richards. I think I would choose Aragon. Finally, let's look at the outfield. This is pretty easy to predict as this is arguably the best outfield in the entire league. The clear 3 starting outfielders are Dennis French, Ricardo Ruiz, and Felix Roman. I'd imagine it would be Ruiz in left field, Roman in center field, and French in right field. But honestly, it can be any combination. Ismael Alfonzo may have a spot on the roster as a DH. Although, Mario Pereira is fighting for that DH spot too. As for Ramon Miranda, it's likely he is the 4th outfielder.

Now, let's check out the pitching staff. There are a lot of players that can easily be in the starting rotation, so it makes me wonder who is going to be in the bullpen. I don't really think there is a true #1 starter in this group, but there are some solid players. Miguel Ramos hasn't performed well in spring training, but it's possible he will have the #1 spot in the rotation. Thee 33 year old veteran didn't perform well in his first year with the Spuds, but he should still have the ability to produce quality starts. Robin Cooper is another decent left handed pitcher. 2044 was his best season to date and since he's only 24 years old, there may be some potential left to unravel. I'm curious if Gerardo Lopez will be given a chance in the rotation. It looks like he is major league ready, but the front office may look to stretch out his service time. For the last two spots in the rotation, I think it is a battle between 5 pitchers. Those pitchers are Luther Summers, Mitch Freemann, Eugenio Asseldonk, Kent Montoya, and Manuel Barrera. I have to be honest, it can be any of these 5 pitchers. I think Freemann will stay in the bullpen, but that only brings it down to 4 pitchers. I'm curious what the front office decides to do. As for bullpen, other than Freemann, there are a couple notable pitchers. For some reason, I like Dominic Lawrence. He stands out to me. But the big guy in this bullpen is free agent signee Dave Houston. It seems that the meta in today's BBA are relievers with a bunch of stamina and elite stuff. If you have one of those pitchers, chances are they will be very good. The 6 year investment starts this season and he could be a game changing talent.

When you have the reigning champions in your division, you know it's going to be tough. San Antonio is not going down without a fight and teams like Phoenix and Edmonton are still in the mix. I think the Spuds have a good shot at making the wild card, but without some more help in the bullpen and maybe even another starting pitcher, I don't think they will win the division. A wild card spot is definitely possible, but the Atlantic Division has their own set of wild card contenders. My prediction is 82-80, a 4th place finish in the division, and they will just miss out on a wild card spot.
Taylor Bettencourt
Vancouver Mounties GM (2036 - Present)

2041 Frick League GM of the Year
2041 FL Pacific Champions

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: 2045 Boise Spuds Preview

Post by jleddy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:09 am

Nice work! Pretty much nailed most of the roles...job well done. I'll pretend I skipped over that opening sentence.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”