2045 Madison Wolves Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
StormZ_23
Ex-GM

2045 Madison Wolves Preview

Post by StormZ_23 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:21 pm

I can't say the Madison Wolves have made this easy for me as they have like 50 players on their spring training roster. But, I am up for the challenge. I like participation points. The Heartland Division is loaded this year. All of the wild card teams in the Frick League can realistically come from the Heartland and they could all be better than the Pacific Division winner. The Wolves have been stuck in the back of the division for many seasons as they haven't made the playoffs since 2037. How will the Wolves compete in this stacked division? Let's find out.

The catching situation isn't necessarily ideal, but I'll give the starting job to Felipe Mercado. He's an above average defensive catcher with slightly below average hitting attributes. He's not a bad option for a rebuilding team. The backup role will be a toss up between Mariano Lopez and Eddie Prague. I'll give the slight edge to Lopez, but either player could realistically find themselves on the opening day roster. The Wolves actually have a formidable infield. At first base is reigning FL newcomer of the year Chris Mann. It's possible he goes through a sophomore slump, but if he can improve upon his 2044 season, he will be a Silk candidate. Backing him up will likely be Natanael Barral. Jose Hernandez is listed as a second baseman, but he will likely be the DH this year. He has a lot of potential and this could be the year he puts it all together. The second baseman spot is a tossup between youngster Eitor Vasconcellos and defensive wizard Alejandro Fajardo. The only listed shortstop is Mauro Soto, so that makes my life easy. Although, David Guerra is not a bad option. Finally, we see third baseman Salvador Allende, easily the best option for this position. I'm curious if he can turn back the clock and hit like he did in 2042.

Next, let's look at the outfielders. Again, more formidable options. Andrew Torres is the clear left fielder, too bad he's only an average defender. Although Rick Torres could be a bench bat. Same with Juan Martinez, who isn't taking the center field spot away from free agent signing Rocky Allen. This was a great signing by Madison. Declan Hounsell, Rodger O'Connor, and Luis Manuel Alonzo will be fighting for backup outfield spots. Now the best for last. Manobu Shimizu is arguably the best corner outfielder in the league, so he will be a Silk contender.

Looking at the potential starting rotation, there a few pitchers that will definitely have slots with their names on them, but I'm not sure where the back end of the rotation is going to go. Yorikane Miyamoto took a step back last season, but he's not far off from his 4-5 WAR seasons. Expect him to come back with a vengeance. Eru Likiliki has been disappointing for the past couple seasons, so he is also on his own redemption tour. The rest isn't very exciting. Jonathan Merritt and Keith Howard are okay, but I don't know where the Wolves go from there. As for the bullpen, it isn't particularly exciting, but there are a couple notable players. Sergio Costello is likely just in the bullpen for spring training purposes. I'm sure he will be given an opportunity in the rotation this season. The clear best reliever is Raphael Castagna. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wolves are searching for a trade partner, so for now Wolves fans should enjoy him.

This isn't a bad team, they are just stuck in a tough division. I'm curious if a couple of the Heartland teams were moved to the Pacific, could Madison climb the Heartland standings? It's a possibility, but unfortunately we don't live in a world of what if's. I like this team, but they are not quite ready to climb into the top half of the Heartland Division, especially considering how strong the division is this season. I think this team will be better than last year and will climb above 70 wins. I predict a 71-91 record and a 7th place finish.
Taylor Bettencourt
Vancouver Mounties GM (2036 - Present)

2041 Frick League GM of the Year
2041 FL Pacific Champions

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Re: 2045 Madison Wolves Preview

Post by CTBrewCrew » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:46 pm

LOL - I had 70 guys on the roster when you made this preview. Lets see how close you came to actuals when opening day comes around. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”